Line: Wreck #36 versus Cave #24

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jax

Deplorable American
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
If one takes off a 100' of #24 line off of a spool, how much #36 will fit on it?

I don't want to unspool my just-spooled #36 if I don't have to . . . .

Thanks!

Last edited:
Wow, that's a heck of a decrease!

Why the change and why do you care?

I ask due to the confusion about what you really plan to do with your wreck line vs. cave line. For laying line on a wreck or for penetration I have found due to my aging eyes that color not number makes all the differance. Shooting a bag if blown off the wreck number does not matter. Abrasion resistance = debateable depending on laying skills. Tieing off to the wreck for an ascent niether will work in any kind of current.
Eric

Why the change and why do you care?

I ask due to the confusion about what you really plan to do with your wreck line vs. cave line. For laying line on a wreck or for penetration I have found due to my aging eyes that color not number makes all the differance. Shooting a bag if blown off the wreck number does not matter. Abrasion resistance = debateable depending on laying skills. Tieing off to the wreck for an ascent niether will work in any kind of current.
Eric

"Most" people that have a preference stated a preference of #36 for wreck due to the higher likelihood of sharp edges. I like the idea.

Jax,

Just my personal thoughts on this. I use #24 in all my reels. It doesn't matter if I am in a wreck or a cave.

When you cave/wreck train, you should learn to place and secure the line in reasonaly safe locations that will insure line integrity. The line is not meant as a tow rope and if you dive with others that will damage the line, maybe rethink your buddies? There is a bit of merit to the whole abrasion thing and if the line will be left for any period of time, then I might want thicker line. You can put a lot of strain on #24 shooting bags and such without a problem.

I also use #24. I've run line on dozens of wrecks (hundreds of wreck dives) and never had it break. It mostly comes down to making smart ties in good locations. #24 has always proven strong enough, so I'd rather just have more line.

Reactions: Jax
We used #36 when laying line in a cave we know floods often. When replacing line (after exploration) I always go with at least #36 because you (nor anyone else) really don't want to have to do it again in a few years.

I've had old #24 twisted snap on me when I grabbed it and cave rock split it.

Reactions: Jax
Agree with all the above. Technique trumps size! lol:rofl3: When I lay line in the Radford it will be bright orange, number not important, length critical.
Eric

Too late, her 24# line will go on to live life in a cave. She can't have it back :p

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom