Sidemount Regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MO50

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Im interested in trying sidemount and curious as to what regs I should start with. Ive heard varying opinions but believe I would like to try the Apeks xtx50 w/ the swivel turret. Will this be a good start? Or should I go with the Apeks Tek3? Im going to use Apeks either way.

If I go with the xtx 50, I plan on adding the 5th port to the regs. Any opinions or advantages/disadvantages of each would be appreciated.

I added the 5th ports to my DSTs, after using them stock for a while. I personally like how the new ports allow me to run the drysuit inflation whip in a cleaner manner, however this upgrade is by no means necessary.

I have MK10's and those are piston regs with 5 ports and a rotating turret. They work great for me. I have seen a number of different styles all seem to work ok.

The Apeks xtx50 looks like it would work fine. Depending on how you end up positioning your 1st stages you may or may not want the 5th port. I've had many students come to me with a 5th port that ended up not using it because it pushed their cylinders out of the proper position.

Thanks for the info. Ill try the xtx50 without the 5th port first and see how I like it.

This was perfect, I was looking at getting 2 xtx50s for sidemount. I'm sold now.

Two Scubapro Mk2 first stages feeding a Z-manifold G250HP (long hose) & R295 (necklaced back-up) second stages.

Simple, low-profile piston 1st stages and makes it easy to stretch & hook the tank neck bungies around the valve knob. . .

Has anyone used this for sidemount? It looks similar to the Apex xtx that many talk of and has a 5th port and swivel. The shop that I go to carries and services Hollis and I would prefer to go that way if possible.

Thanks,

Marshall

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom