Sharing a dive computer....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Max Speed

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
....actually works pretty well based on empirical evidence over 20 dives my wife and I conducted. Wearing identical dive computers we surfaced from each of these dives with identical time remaining (within the same minute), identical nitrogen loads. My conclusion is that, if needed, we could run a single computer without problems.

:shakehead: What's the point. Sounds like you both already have computers. I suppose for argument sake, you are correct so long as you stay side by side at the same depth throughout the dive. Or, you could just run a profile based on tables and not take the chance. But then I guess you'd want to share the watch too.

(sorry if my reply sounds terse, but why introduce additional risk?)

I wouldn't recommend it. I don't like the idea of relying on another person's computer, since the computer itself isn't connected to me, it can easily go onto a different dive profile.

Technically speaking though if you both dove the same profiles and did NOT go any deeper than each other, you could use the computer's planner as your dive table between the two of you. This planning phase would of course have to all occur topside during a dive briefing between the two of you.

As long as every diver has a timing device, pressure gauge, depth gauge, and a descent memory they could pull it off. But if the computer-less person exceeds the max depth set in the dive briefing, they're now off the computer's profile and computer-less. Not a good situation, especially if they already exceeded their Agency Tables. Dive's over for 24hrs.

The point is, the dive computer's planner is variable depending on it's previous dives. Divers are variable too, they don't all go to the same exact depth for the same exact time. Two variable things trying to sync never really pans out well.

...i know i'd have to go down into that crack just a liiiiiiitle bit farther.......
come up just a bit later...
be just a little more everything.....

personal equipment-personal being key word!!!

redundancy in diving aint a bad thing-like comparing computer profiles to tables
...understanding the fizziology!
have fun
yaeg

:shakehead: What's the point.

No particular point. Just interesting in that if you computer fizzles, and you're not running a spare or logging tables and you stick to your partner like glue, your diving day can continue. So I would put the commonly heard statement that you cannot share a computer into the same catagory as split fins will kill you. Both statements have a sound basis but they are not universal truths. Now if you go below 130'...

Think back to the early days of diving. Technically you can grab a cylinder of gas, hook up a regulator, don mask and fins, jump in the water and go for it. I think we'll all agree that over time we've learned that's not the best idea in the world. There's a lot of training and technique today to keep us alive. But, technically, it can be done.

9d8dbc1c.gif

What you are pointing is the same as to use 2 same computers in your arm and trying to verify that both will show the same numbers.
I think that any computer does not care who's arm is using it, so, if both computers are following exactly the same diving profile they should show the same results. This is, in fact, good for the PDC builder, but of very little use for the divers.

The problem is that it makes a single failure (lost buddy) into a multiple failure (lost buddy, lost time, lost depth). If you do roughly the same profile, I expect that deco theory is fuzzy enough that you're probably within tolerance, even if you arent attached at the hip. The pear-shaped scenario just isn't good.

While you're at it, why not share the same gas and BC?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom