Will the travel wing provide enought lift for this configuration?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GaryBDavis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm in the process of putting together my first BP/W setup. One of the DMs I dove with last week had a nice, clean looking Dive Rite setup that I'd like to emulate. The only piece of info I didn't get was which wing he was using.

So, here is my list (it's going to be all Dive Rite components). It's a basic harness with a travel wing, steel HP120 tank, two valves with two primary and two secondary regs (set up for solo diving). In the list below, I've added up the negative buoyancy of the tank (when it's full) plus all the other gear to see if the rig will float with a full tank and the wing fully inflated. That's one of the requirements, right? The math says the travel wing will not have enough lift with a SS B/P but would be close with an aluminum B/P (4 pounds less weight).

I want this rig to work for two diving scenarios: salt water with a 3mil shorty and fresh water with a 5mil full. I think I know how to calculate the wing lift requirement, but I still need to consider if the setup is heavy enough to get down. I'm still a bit fuzzy about how to do that part. I'm about 215lbs myself.

Am I going about this the right way? Is there something I'm forgetting?

Item lb
X7 HP120 Tank- Full (11.0 lb)
Valve K Left (2.0 lb)
Valve H Adapter (2.0 lb)
Stainless Steel Backplate (5.5 lb)
Tank Straps (1.0 lb)
Primary Regs - RG3100 (3.1 lb)
Backup Regs - RG3100 (3.1 lb)
Basic Harness (1.0 lb)
1" Crotch Strap (0.0 lb)
Total 28.7 lb

Thanks,
Gary

Is your lead weight on the rig or on a belt? How much? The Travel EXP wing is only rated 25 Lbs of lift fully inflated. By your math even with an aluminum backplate you would only have +5 oz. of positive bouyancy with the wing fully inflated. Take into account exposure protection compression at depth and you will be negative even with the wing fully inflated. If it were me I would go with a little bigger wing.(either the voyager or rec) Better safe than to have you and/or your rig sink plus you will have to kick the whole time you are on the surface as the wing will not have enough lift to support you and the rig. Seeing as I am also a newer diver I could be wrong though. Maybe someone with more experience will chime in. Just my .02 worth
Tac

I used to use the older Travel wing with 36 lbs of lead on a belt (ugh), an HP120 and a 19 cu ft pony. Of course I was wearing a full 7mm wetsuit plus hooded vest. That wing had sufficient lift for me. Your mileage may differ.

I'm in the process of putting together my first BP/W setup. One of the DMs I dove with last week had a nice, clean looking Dive Rite setup that I'd like to emulate. The only piece of info I didn't get was which wing he was using.

So, here is my list (it's going to be all Dive Rite components). It's a basic harness with a travel wing, steel HP120 tank, two valves with two primary and two secondary regs (set up for solo diving). In the list below, I've added up the negative buoyancy of the tank (when it's full) plus all the other gear to see if the rig will float with a full tank and the wing fully inflated. That's one of the requirements, right? The math says the travel wing will not have enough lift with a SS B/P but would be close with an aluminum B/P (4 pounds less weight).

I want this rig to work for two diving scenarios: salt water with a 3mil shorty and fresh water with a 5mil full. I think I know how to calculate the wing lift requirement, but I still need to consider if the setup is heavy enough to get down. I'm still a bit fuzzy about how to do that part. I'm about 215lbs myself.

Am I going about this the right way? Is there something I'm forgetting?

Item lb
X7 HP120 Tank- Full (11.0 lb)
Valve K Left (2.0 lb)
Valve H Adapter (2.0 lb)
Stainless Steel Backplate (5.5 lb)
Tank Straps (1.0 lb)
Primary Regs - RG3100 (3.1 lb)
Backup Regs - RG3100 (3.1 lb)
Basic Harness (1.0 lb)
1" Crotch Strap (0.0 lb)
Total 28.7 lb

Thanks,
Gary

With a 3mm, and probably even with a 5mm suit you are likely quite overweighted. Typical 3mm shory will be about +3-4 lbs.

SS plate and Harness -6 lbs
Empty Tank -2
Dual regs -5
H valve -1

Total of things that don't float -14

The answer to being over weighted is never more BC capacity.

Tobin

Hi,

The Travel EXP wing is intended for an aluminum 80 tank in warm water. For your set up, you want to go with the equally streamlined and almost the same footprint, VoyagerEXP wing. It will do the trick nicely and you won't have extra wing "flapping about". It's a tight little oval and very nice for both warm and cold water diving.

Hope this helps,
Kathleen

Kathleen,

That was an easy question. Now let's see how good you are. :cool2:

Aluminum or steel BP?

Thanks,
Gary

Back
Top Bottom