Removing front cover on new Magnum/ Brut regs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reefrat

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi there
Can you please tell me how to correctly remove the front purge cover on these regs.
I normally just rinse after dives but like to remove the cover and soak diaphragm, cover and reg body open after an extended trip!
Thanks

Please contact an authorized dealer. Rinsing it should do the job as we do not want consumers disassembling their life support equipment. If you want to take it to an authorized dealer, they can do a service/inspection/cleaning for you. Even if you could get the covers off, it is vital that they be reassembled correctly in order to funtion as life support equipment underwater.
Safe diving,
Team Sherwood

Are you telling me that there is no simple or straightforward and safe way to remove and replace the front covers on this reg?

Is this a second stage that has a design that is genuinely unsafe to remove and replace without specific expert knowledge and equipment?

Or is this just an exercise in "avoiding any liability by assuming that all owners are morons"?

No, what this is, is the make as much profit for the dealers BS, same reason that the other manufs use it. The liability line is just the cover story. I have challanged several manufs reps to provide me with any case from any product where proper parts or service material has been given or sold to an indivigual and a law suit was filed due to injury caused by improper installation of those part or information by the end user, so far no takers.

Sherwood team, the "life support" and "take it at a authorized dealer" lines do not go over well on this board.

Reefrat: Yes, there is a simple way to get the cover off once you have been trained as a technician. Any life support equipment could be unsafe if taken apart without specific expert knowledge, training and drawings with part numbers. No, we are not assuming the owners are morons. Our engineers have determined this cover does not need to come off to rinse the product, if you want/need it disassembled/tested/inspected we are directing you to a technician.

Herman: No, it it not BS or to generate profit, it is to provide quality safe life support equipment. The reason the other manufacturers are consistant with Sherwood is this is an industry standard. We are sorry you feel our terminology does not go over well on Scubaboard, we feel it does but we know we will not please all of the people. The liablility line is not a cover story, safety is number one in our industry.

Sherwood remains committed to providing quality life support equipment by only allowing authorized dealers access to our repair parts and manuals.

Safe diving,
Team Sherwood

Thank you for both for responding

Reefrat: Yes, there is a simple way to get the cover off once you have been trained as a technician. Any life support equipment could be unsafe if taken apart without specific expert knowledge, training and drawings with part numbers. No, we are not assuming the owners are morons. Our engineers have determined this cover does not need to come off to rinse the product, if you want/need it disassembled/tested/inspected we are directing you to a technician.
If there is a "simple way to get the cover off" then this should be available to the owner!
I personally would not be comfortable diving for 2 years with a reg that I've never been able to see the condition of the interior. We are not talking about servicing a reg or disassembly of functional components (I have been a professional maintainer of "life support systems" for underground mine rescue and recovery teams- so I am not completely ignorant here!)
We are talking about a process that should be done as part of routine, periodic cleaning to ensure there is no build up of crud on components or debri lodged in the second stage- that's all! This IS a safety issue- and I'm not going to mention the other obvious issues relating to using this reg in a technical or overhead capacity- a market that Sherwood obviously is not targeting.

Herman: No, it it not BS or to generate profit, it is to provide quality safe life support equipment. The reason the other manufacturers are consistant with Sherwood is this is an industry standard. We are sorry you feel our terminology does not go over well on Scubaboard, we feel it does but we know we will not please all of the people. The liablility line is not a cover story, safety is number one in our industry.
The number of other manufacturers consistent with this approach is declining and will continue to decline because the diving community is becoming more educated and discerning- if the "adult" section of the diving community is not Sherwoods target then time will tell if that significantly impacts the sales of your equipment.

Sherwood remains committed to providing quality life support equipment by only allowing authorized dealers access to our repair parts and manuals.
Once again, time will tell!
I like the look of my new magnum reg but the inability to properly clean and inspect it after each 20 dive trip is not an option. I will be looking at the front cover very carefully to determine the best way to remove and replace it- safeguarding a warranty does not interest me- safeguarding the condition of my "life support equipment" does!

Safe diving,
Team Sherwood

Thank you for both for responding

I re-organized my last post to make it clearer- my responses are in bold.

If there is a "simple way to get the cover off" then this should be available to the owner!
I personally would not be comfortable diving for 2 years with a reg that I've never been able to see the condition of the interior. We are not talking about servicing a reg or disassembly of functional components (I have been a professional maintainer of "life support systems" for underground mine rescue and recovery teams- so I am not completely ignorant here!)
We are talking about a process that should be done as part of routine, periodic cleaning to ensure there is no build up of crud on components or debri lodged in the second stage- that's all! This IS a safety issue- and I'm not going to mention the other obvious issues relating to using this reg in a technical or overhead capacity- a market that Sherwood obviously is not targeting.

The number of other manufacturers consistent with this approach is declining and will continue to decline because the diving community is becoming more educated and discerning- if the "adult" section of the diving community is not Sherwoods target then time will tell if that significantly impacts the sales of your equipment.

Once again, time will tell!
I like the look of my new magnum reg but the inability to properly clean and inspect it after each 20 dive trip is not an option. I will be looking at the front cover very carefully to determine the best way to remove and replace it- safeguarding a warranty does not interest me- safeguarding the condition of my "life support equipment" does!

Back
Top Bottom