Shore Dive from Vero to Ft Pierce?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sheeper

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Anyone interested in hitting some shore dive anywhere from vero beach to ft pierce on the 15th, 17th or 20th?
I've discovered that we have pretty impressive reefs here with lots of sealife....within 50-100 feet of shore.

let me know if there's any interest.

I'm interested EXCEPT the dates don't work for me .... I'll be in the Keys until 21st. If you wan't a buddy after that let me know (I live in Vero).

Bruce

sure thing. i live in Vero also. Ya ever want to run out for a quick dip....let me know. my schedule is fairly flexible.

We just dove Pepper Park this morning. High tide was 9:11am, we hit somewhere around 9:28 Headed east, over the first reef and onto the second. Swam south and came across a decent sized sleeping turtle under a ledge- roughly trash can lid size. Turned around at 1800psi and came across a smaller turtle on the wing. Since we'd never been here before, I surfaced when we estimated we were back in line with the shore entry. Sure enough, we were spot on. Still had about 1400psi, so we went a little farther north, keeping on the second reef. Reversed course at 1100psi, then came back in west. I finished with 800, the missus something like 1200. Vis was 25' at best, 15 at worst. Water 80F, very light winds out of the west. 1h11 total underwater.

Besides the two turtles, saw lots of blennies, scorpionfish, sandfish, porkfish, a hogfish, various small wrasse, sea cukes, and something that looked like a furry sea cucumber. Lots of sea urchins. No lobster. Compared to father south, the reef feels more eroded and less healthy. I'm no reef expert though, I'm just going on aesthetics.

We'd dive it again, due to its relative proximity for us versus BHB, LTBS, etc. However for marine life, we do rank other spots higher. I think today's weather was probably the best it can get, and it was a very pleasant dive.

Rented from Odyssea, which was a nice enough shop.

Not intending to hijack the thread, just providing a very recent perspective on a shore dive in your target area.

no hijack worry!
send me a PM next time you dive pepper park. be happy to join ya!

The marine life seems to be more abundent a bit further north. We had an awesome dive in Vero Beach (riomar reef). It's worm reef for the most part and viz can be iffy but it was a better dive than pepper park.

Dove Jaycee Sunday evening. Good viz.. sorry I didn't see your post earlier could have met up. 20th is good for me but not sure there will be any viz as the waves and wind will be picking up. Feel free to PM me whenever your interested in going as I have a flexible schedule.

Dove Pepper Park this morning.....but dive is a loose term.

Viz was 3' at best on the reef. 3-5 foot swells with a strong south-west current. quite ugly. we basically splashed in.....looked around a nothing and left.

after a couple of clear days i'll be out again.

Im local in Vero too, shoot me a PM if you go out on the weekends. I am always looking to get wet.

Also what shop do you use?

How's diving in the fall out that way- say October? Through my employer, I get discounts at a Vero hotel and we're thinking about doing a Friday or Saturday night stay out there. Would only do it if the weather cooperates for a dive, though.

October can be good. but in general, viz is iffy. on the plus side Vero area has great shore dives and it's an easy drive to awesome (boat) diving out of Jupiter.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom