Water/Diving Conditions in December - Key Largo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

9supratt4

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am finally after many attempts going to be going down to FL. I have a cousin getting married, so it is a perfect excuse to go. I was wondering what the water/diving conditions will be like in the beginning of December. I will be diving December 11 & 12 in Key Largo.

Thanks everyone!!

I Proposed to my eHarmony match (she said YES) on the Spiegle Grove Wreck in January of last year. Come on Down!

Can I get away with a 3 mil?? What are the water temps and currents like that time of year??

Water temps are generally in the low 70s. What you wear is up to you, but you may get cold if doing multi dives every day in a 3mm, and a lot of folks will wear a 5mm or even a 7mm.

The diving conditions will be what they will be. You could get blown out, or have great conditions. Currents are also unpredictable. It could be calm, or ripping. That is true year round. You will likely be fine. Just make sure the boat you dive goes out with minimal customers.

Watch the Weather Channel and NOAA for temperatures and look for the 10-day forecast for wind speed, wind direction and wave height. The coldest I have dove in water off of the Upper Keys was an air temperature of 55 degees, a water surface temperature of 72 degrees and a bottom temperature of 63 degrees at 120 feet on the Eagle in February. I wore a 3mm full wetsuit and a 2mm shorty over it and was comfortable except when the wind was blowing during the surface interval.

LOVED the Eagle! +1 on the Weather Channel and NOAA websites for info.

Watch the Weather Channel and NOAA for temperatures and look for the 10-day forecast for wind speed, wind direction and wave height. The coldest I have dove in water off of the Upper Keys was an air temperature of 55 degees, a water surface temperature of 72 degrees and a bottom temperature of 63 degrees at 120 feet on the Eagle in February. I wore a 3mm full wetsuit and a 2mm shorty over it and was comfortable except when the wind was blowing during the surface interval.

My wife and I are also planning a trip. Our dates are open and we wonder when the best dates "normally" exist. I know the weather can change any day of the year. I wonder what the date range is for the best conditions are. We're going to boat dive and want the best chance of the trip not being cancelled because the seas are too rough. Anyone have that information? Like mid-May to late November type answers?
Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom