A question for you dry divers!

Why do you dive dry?

• I dive in water that's too cold to dive wet

Votes: 36 76.6%
  • sick of freezing in between dives this time of year

Votes: 11 23.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

grouchyturtle

Contributor
Reaction score
Ok here's one for you drysuit divers.
How many of you dive dry, because the water's too cold for even a 2 piece 7mm and how many of you dive dry, because it's too damn cold on the surface this time of year?

I'm ok at depth in my 7mm, but I've been freezing my you know what off on the surface the past few weeks. If I dropped my wetsuit after that second dive on Saturday, you may have mistaken me for a woman!

The natural springs we dive here locally is a constant 62°. However the colder temps during the SI makes a drysuit SOOOO much more comfortable.

I've done both now and prefer dry over wet and cold.

I need to answer "both" to the poll but that isnt an option.

I'm with String on this one.....

SS

Reminds me of a George Costanza

Well I just got back from swimming in the pool. And the water was cold...

i dive dry because i like to be able to just pull the suit on and dive, get out pull the suit off, towel my hair and go.

I'ld have to say both too... in the summer I could pull 2 dives off no problem in a wetsuit. Fall I could do one dive comfortably in a wetsuit, but that would be it. Surface interval would kill me.

Winter time, couldn't do any dives. Too cold in water and too cold out of water. Especially as I go to 100 - 130 feet quite regularly.

Plus, I agree that getting out nice and dry, throwing my gear in my car and driving away is a HUGE bonus.. :D

Both for me too. The only time you'll find me in a wetsuit anymore is in the balmy tropics. I'm a year-round drysuit wearer in quarries, lakes etc.

Once you go dry, you'll never go back to wet.

I dive dry because I get cold in the shower. And...
because wet suits suck. First they only keep you warm at the surface since they compress and lose the ability insulate at depth and around here the water gets warm at the surface but is always cold at depth. Also because of suit compression while you may be weighted and balanced corre tly at the surface you'll be over weighted at depth. All that combined with the fact that you lose more heat and are wet when you get out (leaving you at the mercy of the wind) A heavy wet suit just isn't a good tool for anything.

On the other hand, the dry suit has the same insulating and buoyancy characteristics at depth as it does at the surface.

If I need more than a skin or a 3 mil shorty it'll be a dry suit.

MikeFerrara once bubbled...
I dive dry because I get cold in the shower. And...
because wet suits suck.
Amen to that. I dive drysuit even in tropic (South Pacific Islands) - and while I might get ridiculed on the first dive, by the end of the week there's a number of people who develop "I hate this guy in drysuit - he's dry and warm!" attitude :).
Vlad

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom