When I look out at the ocean and see the "smooth" lines...........

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tyesai

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
So when I look out at the ocean and I see the "smooth" lines, what exactly should that tell me? Is that the different currents? I've been wondering this since I moved close enough to the ocean to look at it daily. Probably a silly question but I'm grateful for an answer. I grew up in Western NY and although I love swimming, snorkeling and diving in the ocean it seems I know next to nothing about it. DSC01061.jpg

Yes, they are likely currents. It could also be wind in the rougher areas, but most times it's current. My fiancee and I like to drop in them to photograph jellies drifting by. We clip a liftbag and spool to our rig and hang below in the current. It's easier to photograph jellies when you are traveling at the same speed.

Actually they're called, "whitings" (that's pronounced: "white-ings")and no one knows what causes them. I know a few physical oceanographers who have, as an aside to their normal research, been looking into that question for more than a few years, still no good answers.

I don't think those are whitings: Whitings

I always thought those wave free areas were spots were waves cancelled each other out, a null, if you will.

Could be, I'm really not sure, looks a lot like what people call whitings down in the Bahamas. It's interesting that you posted the piece that you did, the last conversation I had with someone concerning whitings was with Gene Shinn.:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom