Sinus won't equalize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BradMM

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Ok, I'm sure this has been posted many times and I DID try to do a search but didn't find what I was looking for. I haven't been SCUBA diving much in the past 10-12 years although I have done some free diving on vacations. I used to be able to equalize with no problems but, lately in the pool, I can't get my left upper sinus (above my eye) to cooperate.

My question is, do I just need to practice this more often? I was down at the bottom of the pool today (12 ft) trying to get it to equalize and it would eventually but not as easily as before. I am older, obviously (now 57) so I don't know if that's the difference or if it's related to sinus congestion. I developed allergies during that period and have some great prescription nasal sprays that seem to work but I don't know if it would prevent this from happening.

Suggestions?

On some dives iv done my sinuses get stuffy after i get in the water, normally resulting in me spending to much time trying to equalize and a headache later. My only advice would be to tilt you head in different directions when equalizing, that normally works for me. And i guess that trying to clear your sinuses before going would be a good idea.

IDK if you age is the problem, but i dont think so.

After water skiing and sucking up about half the lake, I had a heck of a time equalizing. I think my upper sinuses were swollen and that was what was causing the problem. After that I started taking generic Claritin daily and it seems to have helped alot.

Last edited:
I don't have any medical degree to back what I'm about to say. This is just all speculation based on my experience:

Your sinuses are probably inflamed from your allergy symptoms. Even if you've relieved your symptoms your sinuses may still be closed up. I know when I'm sick my sinus congestion is the last thing to go away. Even if they feel fine I still get that pressure squeeze.

If you truly must get down you can perform a Valsalva maneuver but instead of directing it in your mouth, direct it in your nose so you can force air into your sinuses.
This however can be quite dangerous because on ascent you WILL get mucus buildup and quite possibly a major reverse block.
I would NOT recommend forcibly equalizing your sinuses unless you absolutely have to dive.

I did the above method when I got sick during a dive trip as a research volunteer. After taking a week off I went diving despite my sinuses being iffy. Somewhere between 80ft and the surface I got a reverse block, which I felt at 30ft. It was quite painful but somehow my senses dulled the pain....that was until it equalized halfway on the boat and then it was a major migraine for a couple seconds. I was luckily able to blow my nose and equalize my sinuses. The squeak I hear when doing that sounded like someone had punted a chihuahua.
If I hadn't been lucky enough to get that equalization I would have been knocked out of action, quite literally.

First you do not need a pool to clear, you should be able to do it now. If you can not, you have a block. Trying to clear UW is just going to make it worst.

It is likely allergies. I'm not a doc so you can try some mild drugs, or see a doctor. I would try and find a diving doctor if possible.

Check the link to the video in my signature for a lot of good information on diving and your ear. It IS a bit long, but its good :wink:

you can perform a Valsalva maneuver but instead of directing it in your mouth, direct it in your nose so you can force air into your sinuses. This however can be quite dangerous because on ascent you WILL get mucus buildup and quite possibly a major reverse block.
I would NOT recommend forcibly equalizing your sinuses unless you absolutely have to dive.

That's good info to have because I was forcing it even at 12 ft at the bottom of the pool. I think I'll try the Claritin or similar as mentioned above. I've never experienced the reverse block so wasn't familiar with that... something I'd rather avoid!

Thanks to all!

First you do not need a pool to clear, you should be able to do it now. If you can not, you have a block. Trying to clear UW is just going to make it worst.

Not exactly sure what you mean. I don't have the problem on land, only when I'm under pressure/water. I have nothing to clear on land.

It is likely allergies. I'm not a doc so you can try some mild drugs, or see a doctor. I would try and find a diving doctor if possible.

I think the allergy drugs would be a good start, thanks!

I think everybody can feel whether they can pressurize their ears or not when they are on land, but it's pretty hard to feel whether you are able to get air in and out of the sinuses.

Inability to equalize sinuses can be due to anything that blocks the small orifices into them. This can be allergies, infection, or even polyps or other overgrowth of mucosa. If this is a chronic problem and does not respond to treatment for allergies, a visit to an ENT doc would be in order.

Probably allergies and stuff stuck in your sinuses. I have bad allergies and used to have trouble with clearing my sinuses. Now I start a regiment of 12 hour Zyrtec-D about three days before diving. I take Zyrtec every day anyway, but I switch to the "D" version prior to diving.The Zyrtec helps prevent allergic irritation in my sinuses and the "D" (long lasting, non-drowsy sudafed) helps make sure anything in there previously is drained before I dive. Haven't had a problem in quite awhile now since starting this.

Back
Top Bottom