Who's using 100% O2 for deco?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Levigarrett

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm keenly aware of the controversy of using 100% O2 which is why I was surprised to see it's use being advocated during my recent AN/DP class. I trust my instructor completely as his credentials are fairly well know to many within the tech community. I asked the pertinent questions and I'm satisfied with his answers and explanations.

He does not see any reason why a properly trained and accomplished diver cannot use 100% O2 safely. I'm satisfied with his reasoning however I'd like to hear from you guys simply to add to my knowledge base should I elect to do something different in the future.

If you do not support the use of 100% O2 to reduce deco obligations, tell me why and wether or not you've used it in the past. I'm not sure if my information is correct but I thought I remember'd seeing or reading that GUE does not allow the use of 100% O2. Are there any other tech agencies making that stand?

Thanks.

Most of the buddies that I dive with all use 100%. It is one of our stand deco gasses.

I'm not sure if my information is correct but I thought I remember'd seeing or reading that GUE does not allow the use of 100% O2.

Absolute nonsense. GUE teaches O2 decompression starting in T1 (and C2). I use it when appropriate.

Most of the buddies that I dive with all use 100%. It is one of our stand deco gasses.

Thanks Dsix. Your post reminded me that I should have included this in my original post. If you support the idea of using 100% O2, I'm happy to hear your reasons as well.

So far I've taken tech classes with NAUI, TDI, IANTD and NSS-CDS ... and used 100% O2 in all of them.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I'm keenly aware of the controversy of using 100% O2
What controversy?

80% yea, there is one, but I have never heard of one for 100%.

OP:
I'm keenly aware of the controversy of using 100% O2 to cure hangovers which is why I was surprised to see it's use being advocated during a recent evening at the pub. I trust my drinking buddy completely as his ability to hold his liquor is fairly well known to many pub regulars. I asked the pertinent questions and when I woke up I think I remember being satisfied with his answers and explanations.

Is this what you meant? :cool2:

o2 is a great gas for decompression due to the total lack of nitrogen. It's simple: if you are trying to empty a bucket of water, keep pouring water out and stop pouring water in.

It does have some interesting properties around fires and explosions, and should be treated with respect like any other pressurized gases.

But controversy? It's hard to argue with deco times cut in half over 32%.

What controversy?

80% yea, there is one, but I have never heard of one for 100%.

There is controversy over using 80% as a deco gas? :popcorn:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom