Diving and helicopter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CGCHRN

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am a Peds flight RN that is required to fly in helicopters all the time. Generally, they fly an altitude of 1,500 - 2,000 feet. If I did multiple dives with depths about 40-60 ft, would this present a danger if I had a trip and it was within the 18 hr window of "no fly". A friend asked me if I finished my dive at 17:00 would I still be in danger if I got called in for a pt or had to go out first thing in the AM at 07:00.

At that altitude you're probably safe from the time you surface, though an interval of at least 4 hours would be helpful. Lots of us live at altitudes higher than that and drive home after dives.

From what I've read there would be no effect if you stay below 5000 feet.

I hear the Docs are saying publicly that you're OK to 2,000 and privately that you're good to 2,700. Some 100% oxygen never hurts at 1 ata or less.

From what I've read there would be no effect if you stay below 5000 feet.

IIRC this was the US Navy recommendation in about the early 1980s. A lot has changed since then so I would go with Thal's comments.

R..

Good question and I have wondered the same thing as we have movements and we can be tasked wih fixed wing or rotor at any time . I will almost always have 12 hours for sure unless its a night dive.
Jerseyville would be right down by Carrolton

Diver0001: What has changed? Surely not physics.

I would not but that's just me. Rather speak to DAN. O2 during your saftey stop will help reduce no fly times dramatically.

Garrobo: I don't know. I know the recommendation has changed. For example, we now have "no fly" times as sport divers that have changed through the years. When I first started diving they said if you were a "D" group it was good enough. Then they changed it to 24 hours and then back to 18 for some things and longer for others. You're right to say the physics haven't changed. What I suspect has changed is either the amount of empirical evidence to suggest proper limits or the models used to simulate/calculate them.

R..

Back
Top Bottom