Nitrogen Amounts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

water goose

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
How often do u have a mix of backgas of more then 40% oxygen? because im considering getting an apeks xtx 200 and wondering if i have to go to the nitrogen version.:chicken:

Unless you are doing accelerated mandatory decompression, you will not be using mixes richer than 40%.

You are a tech diver??? Backgas should never have more 40% O2. N2 only really becomes a problem with PP of 3.5 and more depending on diver. There are other ways to reduce N2. I would suggest spending time with your tech instructor!!!

What is a nitrogen version :confused:

AKAIK all new regs come 40% O2 out of the box.

Should you elect to continue your dive education in the future, you may be using mixes richer than 40% for decompression. If you elect not to continue with "tech" education, I suspect you'll probably never dive with a mix much richer than 36%.

If you have the inclination to continue with your training into Advanced Nitrox/Deco....I'd begin to acquire suitable equipment now so that you'll not be required to re-invent your kit in the future. Buying additional gear that's suitable for richer mixes will be expensive and may leave you with equipment that is no longer compatible with the diving you're undertaking.

If you can afford it and have the inclination, get the good stuff now. Take care.

Last edited:
It's in the basic scuba section - I don't think the OP is asking a tech related question or has any need or responsibility to "talk to his tech instructor".

With that in mind, it would be exceptionally rare to ever see a nitrox mix of greater than 36% intended for recreational back gas use, so the 40% limit basically means the reg is ready to go for anything (other than use as a deco reg for technical diving where mixes greater than 40% may be encountereed.)

I think that this is the same as the US version of XTX40(DS4 DIN - Oxygen).

Water Goose: My short answer for 40% back gas: never.
As mentioned before, the >40% is typically used for decompression stops in technical diving. The depth limitations with high O2 mixes + additional costs sometimes creates diminishing returns. You shouldn't need to pay extra for the oxygen cleaned reg just yet (especially if you don't have O2 clean tanks to go with it).

It's an EU regulation, not a sales pitch... that reg also has the mandatory M26 DIN fitting so that it can't be used on standard DIN valves

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom