Labor Day in Key West

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Beowulf

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm hoping to get some info. We're going to Key West with LDS package. I seem to remember seeing mid 80s + for water temps. I can't recall if that was surface or depth. Need to figure out what suits we're bringing.

Anyone know temps at 60' and 100'?

Thanks!

Just dove the other day off Miami Beach. To give you a rough idea, where we were at 60' it was around 78 - 84 degrees. I didn't use a suit at all.

At around 92' there was a thermocline though, and temps dropped to 68 degrees.

Also consider, there were TONS of jellyfish around so your gonna need a suit for protection at a minimum.

This is just an idea though because as you get closer to Labor Day this will probably be different.

Hope this helps

Google 'Key West average water temperature' and you'll usually find a website that gives the average surface temp for each month. If you dive the Vandenberg you'll probably need a 3mm cause it gets a little colder at depth.

Thanks.
Are skins OK for jellyfish or am I better off with a .5 or 1mm suit? I own neither so looking to buy the right gear.

Last edited:
Thanks.
Are skins OK for jellyfish or am I better off with a .5 or 1mm suit? I own neither so looking to but the right gear.

See above post:

Also consider, there were TONS of jellyfish around so your gonna need a suit for protection at a minimum.

Wow, thanks. I didn't realize I needed something that thick for jellies. Guess I'll stick with my Lavacore and be hot.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk

iv'e worn an old 1mm(with a cheap lycra hood from divers direct) full suit the last 2 days freediving and had zero stings with moons everywhere(the full lycra body skin wasn't 100% effective but acceptable). in my view a .5-1mm full wetsuit(w/hood) is sufficent protection from moon jellyfish. in reguards to portuguese man of wars, well that's another story. as for thermal protection while diving the deeper sites(55-125FT) the past month, i've been using a 3mm hyperstretch with a 3/5 hooded vest, however, i chill easy and our dives are long as we have 100HP steels. the majority of my dive buddies have been wearing 3mm full suits(hoods/no hoods)or less the past few months. haven't encountered any thermoclines as noted further north of the keys,,, ,,,,,,

reefman
key largo

Last edited:
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom