Beginner??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

f86sabjf

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Gang
Just getting started in snorkeling . The wife and I have went to a local dive shop and purchased our equipment including my r/x mask . Any good reads out there for somebody like us?? We really dont have the money to get ow cert but have an eye on it for the future. Living here in Fla all my life i know i have plenty to see in the 20-40ft range.
We can thank Castaway cay for the idea. A few months ago we were there and my wife noticed the little fishies swimming around her. I noticed how animated and happy she was :D so now is the time to capitalize on it.
We have a day at Discovery cove planned for a first attempt and controlled situation and then we'll move on from there probably to some of our wonderful freshwater springs . Anyways glad to be here.

Thanks for any replys
Jeff

I went to Castaway myself when my kids were much smaller on the Disney Cruise. That was probably the inspiration to move to Florida and start boating/diving. Beautiful place.

I found that after the excitement of the snorkel is over, looking up and identifying the creatures and fish you saw filled the desire until the next snorkel trip. I found a small paperback book that goes on every trip, "Snorkeling Guide To Marine Life,
Florida, Caribbean, and Bahamas" by Paul Humann & Ned Deloach. You can find it on Amazon for just a few bucks.
I have even purchased a few extras and give them away to families who are vacationing and are snorkeling for the first time.
Now that I am hooked on snorkeling, I have more of their hardcover books and use them often.

Thanks for the tip on the book Becky . I also found a book "50 sites to snorkel in Fla". That should keep us busy for a while.
I have a feeling some 3mm suits may be in our future my wife doesnt like to be cold.

Back
Top Bottom