How deep is considered a dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaSteve1962

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
:confused:How deep is considered a dive? I have 23 dives on my computer, only 8 were over 12 ft. I spend alot of pool time trying to work on my bouyancy and breathing. talked to one dive shop that said anything over 14ft was considerd, is this the standard?

For your personal log, you can consider anything you wish as a dive - it's your logs.

If you're planning to work to a specific goal or certification, there are likely to be minimum requirements on depth, time, etc. for a dive to "count." You'll need to check with the instructor or dive op who will be providing the course or the dive. Find that what they consider acceptable for experience as it may vary quite a bit from one to the next.

Since there is no dive police the only person that you will cheat is yourself.

If you want to record dives in a pool that is completely up to you.

Personally I would'nt record a dive unless it was made in a natural enviroment such as a lake, river, ocean or spring.
Depth has little to do with recording, I frequent the Blue Heron Bridge and it only has a max depth of 20 feet but an average of 12 feet.

My watch starts recording at a depth of 5 feet so that's the measure that I have been using for years.

---
- Worst day out on the water is better than the best day at work.

Yes, the only thing that matters is if you are taking other courses that require certain numbers of dives. Check with the agency or instructor.

During the winter months, one of my favorite dives is perusing the eel grass beds at my local dive site. Depths vary from 6 to maybe 20 feet, depending on the tides. Best part is that a tank of air lasts me a loooooong time ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I don't record anything in a pool environment. If I make a dive at 15' for 2 hours I will log it but If I dive to 60' for less than 10 minutes then I probably would not log it. I usually do it based on time and depth nd if it feels like I actually accomplished anything.

During the winter months, one of my favorite dives is perusing the eel grass beds at my local dive site. Depths vary from 6 to maybe 20 feet, depending on the tides. Best part is that a tank of air lasts me a loooooong time ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Not deep enough. They aren't dives, Bob. You are so totally wasting your time. :wink:

As above, your log is yours, put in it what you want.

If you want the PADI definition... last time I checked a "dive" needs to be 5M/15feet or deeper for at least 20 minutes. I haven't really seen people log pool dives, if I was checking someones log book for lets say a minimum required amount of logged dives to do a DM course I would not accept pool dives, they would have to be open water i.e. ocean, river, lake, quarry etc from memory the definition is something to do with having natural water flowing in and out of it

I don't log dives but I don't consider a pool a dive either. As to how long and how deep, there is no legal definition that I am aware of as to what constitutes a dive. If you are extending your interlude underwater longer than you could otherwise without some type of machinery/apparatus, then it is a dive. But, I would not count a pool, sorry, it has to be at least a quarry :wink:.

N

I think you should log whatever you choose to. If you do log pool dives I'd include the "why" you were diving in the pool -- it may job your memory down the way about different gear combinations. It'll never hurt you to love everytime you get into liquid with a tank on your back, and who knows, it may help :)

Michael

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom