Diving After Flying

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jrv331

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I didn't find any information about the waiting period for diving after flying. Is it the same rules as flying after diving?
Thanks

---
- John

Immediately is usually considered a bad thing as Air France 447 discovered. :shakehead:

Not really the same time restrictions. With flying AFTER diving, the concern is nitrogen loading. With diving after flying, the main concerns are tiredness and dehydration. Related to this, especially in vacation spots, may be recent consumption alcohol. I'm not an expert, but I think the recommendations are generally the same as with all diving: by reasonably well hydrated and rested. With proper precautions before and during the flight, it's possible to walk off the plane ready to dive.

DAN has this to say: Diving after flying FAQ

I have, at times dived immediately after flying and there is as people have mentioned no real time constrains with regards to doing this.
However, you should make sure you are a pain in the ass for the flight attendants and ask for more water than you think you need.
A good idea also to get enough food or youll end up with serious seasickness (I speak from experience on that one).

No rules. Just be in good shape physically & mentally and ready to go.

One caveat. Extended flight times can lead to dehydration, which is a contributing factor to DCS. Drink plenty of non-caffeinated liquids and stay off the alcohol.

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The recurring and correct themes are these: hydrate, and be sure you are not fatigued to the point of being less attentive than a diver needs to be. Otherwise, no rules as to time. Depending on arrival time, my wife Debbie (the Scubadiva and I) will regularly get a tank and do a shore dive on the day of arrival in Maui or Mexico, even after a 5 hour flight, but we hydrate and we we are sure to rest or stretch or do whatever we need to do to be relaxed and alert for the dive. We're still here, and have never had an issue with diving after flying. The same holds true for diving after driving at altitude, which can be a factor at some location (Kona), Utah, etc.
Divemaster Dennis

Thanks for the advice. I plan on diving the morning after I fly. So I should be good.

---
- John

The same holds true for diving after driving at altitude, which can be a factor at some location (Kona), Utah, etc.
Divemaster Dennis

Gotta disagree with this one (if I understand you). It's like diving (at sea level) after driving FROM altitude. If you dive after driving TO altitude (from sea level), you have special considerations.

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom