drain holes in boots?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kd3pc

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
While in my OW cert class, the instructor mentioned that he had taken a hot nail and made a hole in each boot, so that water could drain out easily...once ashore or on the boat, lessens chafing and such...

does this work, if so pros and cons from someone who has actually done this? Heel or arch or toes?

While in my OW cert class, the instructor mentioned that he had taken a hot nail and made a hole in each boot, so that water could drain out easily

While the nail is still hot make a hole in the top of your hood for the air to get out. Otherwise you get that funny bubblehead look that changes your buoyancy.

Interesting concept--totally foreign to my thinking.
Any hole in my boot can create a water flow throw, thus a faster water exchange in the boot, which in my thinking equals colder feet. I found that lycra socks eliminated any chafing and made taking boots on and off very easy. Maybe the water I dive in is colder than yours, 50ºF last weekend, so I am a bit more sensitive to it.

Zipper'ed boots and lycra socks solve this problem already. The lycra socks prevent chaffing and allow easy wet suit removal around your ankles. The zippers allow most of the water to drain out when you hit dry land. But they prevent water from circulating vastly when in the water (preventing cold feet)

For cold water I'd keep your booties as is. Make sure you tuck your wetsuit over the bootie.

Never heard of this. Good idea for warm water. Otherwise not good.

Warm water diver? Why wear boots or hood in the first place?

I think it was his way of dealing with peeing in his wet suit and having it drain out of his booties afterwards.....:cool2:

I agree it's a bad idea if you need to keep warm. I have had tiny holes in gloves that felt like pin pricks in cold water. If the water is mild and this isn't an issue then pierce away.

Thinking of my wet boots I have to wonder if your fit is on the loose side as the amount of water in my removed boot is trivial.

Pete

Why wear warm water boots? Because it's the most comfortable way to wear strap-type fins. Barefoot can be uncomfortable. It is also good for walking on a sharp surface.

Yes, holes are a good idea for warm water boots. Some come that way already, some need them added. Mine have 2 in the heel so that when I am out of the water I'm not walking with a shoe full of water. It also helps them drain when I take them off and stand them heel-down (toes skyward) against a wall. Seems to dry much faster.

Back
Top Bottom