Need some tips or advice to pick a back inflation BC with weight integration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

s.s.seafan

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm looking to buy my first BC. I'd like to get a back inflation BC (for better trim), a regular one (vs a "travel BC") for better durability, and with weight integration (with extra trim pockets for better balance). Other than that, I really don't know what else I should be looking for in a BC. A search on LeisurePro turned up a number of them that all look similar:

Sherwood Tortuga CQR BCD

Sherwood Axis Bcd

Genesis Omni BCD Black

Aeris EX 200 Back Inflation BCD with QLR Weight Pockets, Black

Oceanic Islander BC, Black/Blue

Mares Icon BC with MRS Plus Weight Pockets

Their price range from $200 to $350. I don't have to get the least expensive, but people on the board also gave me the impression that it's hard to justify a BC over $350 (correct me if I'm wrong - I thought you get what you pay for). I don't know much about brands so I don't have any preference one way or the other, maybe folks could tell me which brand has a good reputation in terms of quality? just want to get something with good quality that could last a long time, and with comfort and good design so I wouldn't be wanting a new/different one soon just because I miss a particular feature. My diving is mostly tropical reef on vacation, no wreck or cave diving.

thanks,

-Jason

Have you completely ruled out a BP/W setup?

Dive Right In Scuba was offering a pretty good deal on a full single tank setup not too long ago.

My understanding of BP/W is a more simplistic and modulaor version of back inflation BC - is that right? As I'm still quite new at this, and not familiar with all the gear options, I suppose a "pre-made" setup is more suitable for me at this point.

Not necessarily. A BPW set up may be the best thing for you. It fits you. Period. You adjust it so that once it's set if fits every time as it should. It is modular so you can customize it to your diving. It is the BC for travel as it will break down and fit in a back pack. Unlike other BC's you will have to buy again and again if you decide to try doubles, go light tech, or even blown cave and wreck, your plate and harness will not change. You'll always be able to use your single wing and if you do decide to go doubles all you need to buy is another wing. You may be right at the 350 mark for a complete set up but again you won't need to sell it for a significant loss down the road. A 2 year old jacket that you pay even 350 for will be lucky to bring you 1/2 that. I have two friends that bought BPW's 4 years ago. They recently left the sprt due to medical issues. They sold their BPW set ups for $25 less than what they paid for them. If you want an idea of a complete set up PM me. I sell HOG and can put something together for you and see if it meets your needs and budget.

You may also want to consider the Zeagle Express Tech ltd. Throw in the integrated weights, moshy pillow for the back, and some comfy shoulder straps and you would have a nice, light, comfy, modular rig, made in the USA and great customer service to boot.

Jeff

The Express Tech is a great BC. I have one. I added two xs scuba weight pouches. One on each cam band, 4 drings, a steel buckle, and a crotch strap. You don't need anything else with this BC.

I would highly recommend a Scubapro Seahawk. They also make a Knighthawk but I like the Seahawk better because of how the pockets are designed. I have dove Scubapro BC's since 91 and have never once in more than 500 dives had a problem and Scubapro quality is one of the best. This bc will last you for many many years.

+1 on the Scubapro Knighthawk. I had one and thought it was very good.

Be aware, the Mares Icon in your list above is a travel BC.

-Mitch

I would go with the Oceanic Islander. Oceanic make an amazing product. Also I can beat LeisurePro's Price

Back
Top Bottom