How many dives to plan for Vandenberg?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HenryG

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My son and I are heading to the Florida Keys next week for some well deserved underwater time. Our plan, at this time, is to hit Key Largo and do some of the dives they have there, starting with some reef dives then progressing to the Spiegle Grove, Duane and Bibb. We really want to do the Vandenberg, but hear that that is really the only dive worth doing, as compared to Key Largo. So, using that information, how many dives should we plan to do on the Vandenberg? I know that we are going to have to really choose the day(s) wisely, what are some of the factors that result in the dreaded current? Is it tidal flow? Should we look for dives available during slack tide? Any suggestions to make this dive trip memorable, in a good, PG rated way, are greatly appreciated.
Henry

Additional information ... we are both rescue certified and are both working toward divemaster certification.

Some think it's tidal flow, I think it's eddies off the Gulf Stream, because it doesn't really seem to correspond with tide close enough to plan on it. Besides tidal flow in KW is dirty water, and when the current is hooked up on the Vandy, the water is typically crystal clear. The folks who tell you that the diving in Key West sucks compared to Key Largo have only been to the reefs that the snorkel boats pound mercilessly. If it were me, I'd do this: I'd find a small 6 pack operator that will do what you want for the day. Prices are in the vicinity of $450/day +fuel for the boat and operator. You won't have your hand held, and you'll be taken to some breath-taking dive sites, which abound in Key West. They just aren't where the boats with a schedule go. I'd make arrangements with Robert at Finz Dive Center or Steve at Keys Mobile Diving. Tell them you want to dive the Vandy twice, then the offshore bar off of Sand Key and West. Nothing in Key Largo that I've dived can hold a candle to the offshore bar as far as fish or coral is concerned. This is where the folks who know dive. Both Steve and Robert are easy to find with Google.

What is the offshore bar?

P1010005_01.jpgP1010013_01.jpgP1010020_01.jpgP1010023_01.jpg
we dove there last week.current can be wicked. I believe that as wookie wrote it is a eddy off the stream.Same conditions can happen on the busch wreck off cudjoe key.Dove Busch often when visiting there and crewed/dove with Jim Wyatt.

........So, using that information, how many dives should we plan to do on the Vandenberg?........
Henry

I like to go slow when I dive. I did a double dip on the Vandenberg in Feb and really did not see it all. I could have easily done one or two more double dips (2-4 additional dives) and been very happy. In Feb, there still was not that much growth on the Vandenberg compared to the S. Grove or Eagle in the upper keys, but the 'topography' of the wreck is very interesting and there were plenty of fish, arrow crabs, eels, etc on if

I went with The Ultimate Getaway last year. They are a liveaboard and we spent the day their on our way to The Dry Tortugas. We dove it 4 or 5 times. Like I said we spent the day their because of having to burn nitrogen off with long surface intervals. I feel that is the best way to see the ship. I watched several operators do a two tank dive then leave out. It is a huge ship with I think 4 mooring balls. Our captain moved the boat to each ball so we could see all of the Vandy. Also at least half of the dives that day was beautiful blue water with no bad current. The last half was a lot worse.

Thanks for the replies. Checking on the six pacs and options ... now if Irine will just stay offshore! The hazzard of diving the southern US in the summer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom