Question on tank, regs and BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DivingEnthusiast

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello Sherwood,
My father dived back in the 80s with his own gear, since then, he's only dived on vacation. We still have all his old gear, largely Sherwood, consisting of an Aluminum 80, a BC, and a full reg setup. We are looking into having his gear overhauled, and plan to bring the regulator and BCs to a local shop for full repair. I have a question about his tank; it was made pre 1989 and last VIP'ed and hydro'ed in the early 90s. My question is whether the tank is still usable, or suffers the same fate as Luxfers of the same age. Also, I'm curious as to whether there's any kind of lifetime warranties to your regulators or BCs that may cover repair.
Thank you!

Please take the tank to an authorized dealer for inspection and they will determine if it can still be used. You should also bring any BC/regulator to the store to verify any warranty still in place.
Safe diving,
Team Sherwood

Hello,
Back with a followup.. the two dive shops I've been to refuse to touch the tank due to the Luxfer incidents, I was wondering if you've had any reported incidents with your aluminum 80s made pre 1989, the one I have is an 85 and I can provide serial # if needed, thanks.

Welcome to the board DE.
There are quite a few threads about the tank issue on the board but to sum it up, some aluminum tanks were made of 6351 alloy which are prone to cracking in the neck area. These tanks are still considered safe if the proper eddy current test is done on them when they are visually inspected. The DOT has NOT required them to be condemned or limited their use. The problem is a good many dive shops do not understand the information and have a blanket policy that they will not fill tanks that are made pre 90. The lack of understanding is so bad that there are shops that will not touch any tank pre 90 , including steel tanks which were never an issue. The choice is theirs, it is their shop and they have the right to make any policy they want but any shop that has this policy, esp. a blanket policy of not filling any pre 90 tank including steels, makes me question their intent and/or the quality of any advise or service I am going to get from them.

Bottom line is, if properly tested the tanks are safe but unless you have a good shop, the hassle of getting them filled is not worth the effort, esp. if you travel with them. The other Sherwood gear is likely in great shape. Sherwood made solid equipment that last, a good service and it will be ready to go. Your biggest problem is finding a good shop with quality service techs.

I agree, have the regs and BC serviced and ditch the older tank. You can rent one at 8-10 bucks a day if your not diving regularly or just get another one. Id take an lp85 over an aluminum 80 anyday but thats just me.

Back
Top Bottom