Dental chair ramblings.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Linedog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
As I sat (lay) in my dentists chair, waiting for my root canal. Trying not to over breath the cool flow of nitrous as it swirls around my nose. My mind wanders far, very scary if you know me, I discovered the solution to my leaky mask! I must confess, I'm a nose breather, there I said it I feel better now. As I try to get the most out of my nitrous experience, in through the nose and out through the mouth, slow, deep, enjoy. Wait I digress, I'm having a difficult time exhaling through my mouth, I have to actually think about exhaling out my mouth. While diving I constantly exhale out my nose and it bubbles out my mask into my hood. That reminds me I need to melt a hole in the back my head (hood) to release said bubbles. Anyway, the first 10 minutes of the dive my mask is fine, then it slowly starts to leak. I guess constantly breaking the seal eventually starts to let water in, I think I'm on to something here. By the way I'm not Nitrox certified yet but have a question. If it has a higher content of oxygen why is it called Nitrox? Should it not be called Oxtrox? Anyhow back to my lightbulb moment, is there a easy way to train myself to breath out my mouth only when I dive? I have enough to think about already and don't really need something else to concentrate on. Thanks for letting me ramble, any suggestions will be forwarded to the appropriate department. 

Look up "purge valve".

It's quite possible that some water will enter the mask when you exhale out of your nose. The air tends to escape out of the top of the mask, thus allowing water entry (not like a mask clearance, where you secure the top of the mask to divert bubbles out of the bottom).

Just pinch your nose for a short while, until you establish a rhythm breathing in and out of your mouth.

Not sure what 'Oxtrox' would be an abbreviation of?!? Nitrox is short for Nitrogen / Oxygen. (yes, that does mean that regular air is also 'nitrox').

A more descriptive term is 'Enriched Air Oxygen' (EANx).. which is commonly used by several agencies.

It's quite possible that some water will enter the mask when you exhale out of your nose. The air tends to escape out of the top of the mask, thus allowing water entry (not like a mask clearance, where you secure the top of the mask to divert bubbles out of the bottom).

Are you serious?

I though your post was fun and well written. Thanks. As to nose breathing, you will do less as you dive more. You brain will learn this at a conscious or sub-conscious level. I want to point out that there are time during a dive you should exhale through your nose, briefly, to avoid "mask squeeze." In side the mask is an air space that you should equalize like other air spaces, except the one in your mask won't hurt as much, just give you "raccoon face" for a day after the dive. I have found that a small amount of silicon grease around the mask skirt before every dive minimizes leaking, and I commend that to you. As for a better name for nitrox, perhaps you can post a poll or competition. My entry, since it is reduced nitrogen content: minusnitrus.
DivemasterDennis scubasnobs.com

Are you serious?

Yes. It's something I've observed on hundreds of occasions, when teaching scuba classes.

It's the sole reason why divers are taught to press the top of the mask against their heads when performing a mask clear. What did you think the reason for that was?

I was having the same problem. Like you it dawned on me that might be the case. My instructor confirmed that I was exhaling through my nose. I read on here about soft palate control and started practicing controlling my soft palate out of the water and it has improved greatly. Search "soft palate", someone else can explain much better than I can.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk

BTW, I have a beard and mustache and often forget to shave on vacation so it is not uncommon for me to have mask leaks. I know silicone grease and shaving the top of my mustache prevent it. But I've actually gotten used to it and like a little water in my mask since if I fog I can just get my mask horizontal and swish the water around to clear. I also think that little bit of water on my nose helps to subconsciously remind me not to breath through my nose.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom