Now I remember why

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lyonsce

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I changed to a BPW from a jacket style BCD. I was in SoCal for a vacation cruise (not my idea) and decided to get in a few dives, not enough to carry my own gear across the country so I rented. I dove in the kelp forest off Catalina (great dives) and off the cruise boat in Cabo San Lucas and Puerta Vallarta and rented gear in all places. Of course they had jacket style BCDs, I forgot how confining and bulky they felt. After the freedom you feel with a BPW going to a jacket BCD was very hard for me. By the last day it was okay, but still not comfortable compared to my Diverite plate. I know that the jacket wasn't adjusted properly (as is my plate) and it would have been better if it was my own and fitted to me, but still.......

I completely agree that backplate wing bcd's are a lot more comfortable to use. I own something similar which is a jacket style wing bcd. It is the same idea. I have done over 1000 dives with wings and one day tried a rental jacket bcd. Doing a 50 minute dive like with it was very uncomfortable.

Basic jacket bcd's squeeze at your sides causing restricted breathing and have an awkward feel in the water. Wings keep your position a lot better and simply are easier to dive with.

I hope you enjoyed your diving trip.

My girlfriend just got certified. Naturally, she learned in a jacket BCD. Yesterday she had her first couple dives as a certified diver....and in a bp/w. She loved it and it wasn't even adjusted properly. I needed to tighten up one side which she didn't mention. I only noticed it on the last dive when I had her go in front of me. I can't wait for her to feel how simply it is when fully adjusted!! Plus, easier to pack the basic bp/w with harness for our upcoming trip to Grand Cayman.

I'm about to do my first dive on my Zeagle Ranger in over 2 years. I've gotten hooked on spearing, so need the extra pockets actually. I've added my backplate and STA to the ranger, so hopefully it will be tolerable! Haha.

I too switch from a Jacket but only to a Back inflate (Hollis ATS) and I love the freedom.... then I replaced the AL80 with a steel 72... OMG was there a major difference.... The wife will now dive with my 4 AL80s and I will stick to my lp72s. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom