NEW: Toronto Ripley Sea Aquarium

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's a GREAT name for it, IMO. Of course, I might be biased. :eyebrow:

Ripley LOL. Yes! divers will be a large part of the aquarium on a volunteer basses.

I wouldn't be too sure that volunteer divers will be a component of the Ripley's Aquarium in Toronto.

Legislation in the US enacted in 1982 exempts scientific divers, including aquarium divers, from the OSHA requirements. In Ontario, legislation enacted in 2004 specifically holds scientific divers, including aquaculture divers, to the same Ministry of Labour standards as commercial divers, equivalent to CSA Standard Z275.4 -02. Therefore, the training and cost requirements will be significant. That is why there are no volunteer divers at Marineland in Niagara Falls - a virtually identical type of operation.

It really is a shame. I've been volunteering at the Aquarium of Niagara in New York for 6 years and always enjoy my time in the tank!

I have a son who applied to work there...for a new employee with a degree in marine biology and at least a PADI Master Diver rating they pay minimum wage. He could make the same money at Tim Horton's (a coffee shop for my American friends). I hope the good folks at Ripley's remember that you get what you pay for!

Bob (Toronto)

I have a son who applied to work there...for a new employee with a degree in marine biology and at least a PADI Master Diver rating they pay minimum wage. He could make the same money at Tim Horton's (a coffee shop for my American friends). I hope the good folks at Ripley's remember that you get what you pay for!

Bob (Toronto)

Can you provide a link or something as to where you got that information? I ask only because they don't seem to have any actual job descriptions posted on there website and that they are not accepting applications yet.

That's because there not accepting applications at this time. Notifications will be posted as required. You will require accademics in a chosen marine science study to get involved there as most start up staff will be from the US just to get the place flowing and runing. Good luck with your adventure.

The Aquarium when it opens it doors next year will be looking for volunteers mostly on a regular bases. Full time jobs will be rewarded to those persons with specific science degrees or internship and technical experience in mechanical operations. Volunteers or what I call "tank scrubbers" Ripley management will put you through there own diving and safety training programs regardless of how much diving you've done in the past. I worked at the Great lakes Aquarium for some time it was hard work, rewarding and lots of fun I learned allot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Va-r8e_KeD8

I wonder if they'll accept recreational divers, PADI OW, to dive the aquarium as part of a "tour".

If so, they'd be the first & only one in Canada. Would be a big plus for the Junior OW community, IMHO.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom