Diving in New Jersey

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dumaresq

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi...

First I apologize if this is in the wrong place, please move it if I've messed up.

I have some questions for anyone that knows about ocean diving in New Jersey. I've completed my OW and AOW dives, I did the AOW dives directly after my OW dives because this was recommended to me by my instructor, according to the instructors that I had, in New Jersey you need a few things before you can go on a boat dive in NJ. 1) AOW 2) a pony bottle. Can anyone confirm this? I've got AOW so I'm not worried about that, but the pony bottle poses a few problems for me, mainly expense and training.

It seems to me that local ocean dives here are a big deal that I may not be ready for. The water has low visibility, the interesting sites are all deep, and the water is cold. I've done my training dives at dutch springs, and I've done one dive for fun there. Last weekend while on vacation in Nova Scotia I did some diving there with my brother. Does anyone have any comments or advice for diving near my house? I live near sandy hook if that's helpful.

I plan to do another trip up to Dutch springs to get some fun dives in, and after that I'd really like to get in a boat dive or two before the water gets too cold for me to dive without a dry suit.

Thanks!

In general, boats want you to be proficient and to have a redundant gas source. Proficient is often taken to mean AOW, and AOW will get you on almost any boat, but in my opinion unless you choose your instructor very carefully it is not sufficient. Find someone who teaches a real AOW course (to include shooting a bag and dealing with current and low vis). See if you can arrange to do a boat dive as the final dive of AOW.

There are beginner days on some boats that will put you on wrecks in the 60-70 foot range. Since they're closer in, vis is often lower. But the bottom line in Jersey diving is that things vary. One day you could have beautiful vis; the next, horrible. Just depends.

As gsk3 said there are some easier boat dives that you can to. These are typically 1 dive and the boat leaves later that afternoon usually around 12-3 and the wreck start in the 50-60 range. If you would prefer you can always contact a shop and you can do your boat diver specialty if that makes you feel more comfortable. I know The Scuba Connection does this all the time and they have a good schedule. The boats in NJ do require you to dive with a redundant air source it can either be Pony bottle (which is usually an AL 30-40 most use 40) Or you can dive with doubles. You can go to most dive shops and rent an Al40 but you need to have your BC setup to carry the 40 some already come with the D-rings in place.

Here is a link to TSC diving Schedule
Northeast_Wreck_Diving

and an example of the single boat dive

Dive Charter to the wreck of the MRMTC/Four of Clubs
Cash price is $35

Discover NJ Wreck Dive (need a minimum of 8 divers)

Date: September 10, 2011
Depth: 60'-80'
Dive Boat: Independence II
Max Divers: 10
1 Dive
Lunch Served: No
Departing from Clark's Marina NJ
Departure Time: 3:30pm

Most of my dives have been in NJ

1) You want to practice navigating - and I dont mean with a compass (wont work on most of the wrecks) You need to learn to navigate with visual references
2) Learn to run a reel for navigation when vis is bad (contrary to popular belief - if you hit the right wreck vis is actually quite good)
3) ABSOLUTELY practice shooting a bag (Dutch is good for this - head over to the crane as it is a good depth and you are out of the way from most people)

Great advice on choosing the right instructor. My NAUI advanced class was all focused on NJ diving since the instructor knew thats what I would be doing.

Water temps - I tell people - if you can handle dutch in a wetsuit - than you can handle NJ (in the summer) temps. There are some exceptions (refrigerator wreck, etc). Spring and Fall might be pushing it - but that depends on your cold tolerance. I would look into a drysuit - and - if $ is an issue (like it is for most of us) consider getting a used one.

5) There is always an argument about NJ boats requiring a pony. Most require a redundant air source. I have only dove a few- but on my boat - EVERYONE has some sort of redundancy (doubles or single with pony). You can get a pony for cheap, or rent.

Lastly - NJ diving is VERY underrated!!!!!!

That's the first I've heard of boats requiring a pony--for ALL dives as well.. live & learn. I've never heard of any training for pony use. I would suggest trying Allenhurst Jetty just N. of Asbury Park in Allenhurst. Not bad- 20 feet unless you go out more. Viz can vary a lot. You can always do Manasquan River R.R. Bridge. in Point Pleasant (salt water). 20' and very benign (except don't get too close to the bridge on incoming tide--bad current). Lots of snails, crabs and the occasional flounder (big). I hear it is also used for training dives.

That's the first I've heard of boats requiring a pony--for ALL dives as well.. live & learn. I've never heard of any training for pony use.

If you search, there's a thread started by Ranier in which he contests the policy. Opinions on both sides follow.

The closest I've seen for training for pony use is that if you take Fundamentals or dive a Hogarthian setup, the pony already has room made for it. It was kind of funny to just clip a 40 on one day and realize, hey, that's what belongs there!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom