Dry Storage Container recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rwm555

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm new to diving and will be going to Bonaire in a few weeks. Does anyone have recommendations on a dry storage container that I can use during diving. I was looking for something that I could store my keys, CC and license. Thanks

I use a dry bag, it lets me store a towel, t shirt as well as my keys, wallet and cell phone

01-Glacier-Clear-01-General.jpg

EDIT

I misread the question. I tend to leave most of my stuff on the boat or hidden in my car when shore diving. However, if you want to carry a few small items the otter box is the way to go.

Last edited:
Small Dry Case or a mini dry bag.
ie. Pelican Micro 1050
Akona Dry Pouch Bag

If it's electronic and/or important to me I always double bag.

Important items go into a small dry case/bag and then placed into a larger dry bag that houses my towel, clothes, sun glasses etc.

Edit

Opps I missed that you want to take these things with you on the dive. In that case forget about my suggestions. Those only work to keep things dry on the surface. Pelican cases aren't made for submersion, and in fact after a year of continuos use might actually leak if dunked (seen first hand).

I would recommend taking a set of keys that can get wet and pack only what you need on your person when you dive.
Lock your credit card and license up in the hotel safe, you don't need it on the dive boat. Better yet leave your hotel key in a dry bag on the dive boat. Or if you're going shore diving, pack only the hotel key on your person.

Last edited:
Otter Box.
Yup. I use the 1000, the smallest, in clear: Otter Water Tight Box # 1000 Series
Fits in a BC pocket, just big enough to hold a plastic business card case with CC, DL, cert card, and a few bills folded in thirds.
It will also hold a key, although my preference is to not take an electronic fob, just put mechanical key(s) on a cord around my neck.

It's rated to 100 feet, and my experience is that it stays dry up to that depth on repeated dives. The O-ring on mine broke after 70 or so dives over several years, so I replaced the box. The Pelican boxes, and others, are more for the boating or maybe snorkeling market, they aren't rated for depth like the Otter box.

Some people have reported leaks, do a search. So my preference is not to count on it. I'd like my cards and money to be dry, but that's for convenience, if they get a little wet, no tragedy. Wet bills spend fine. There are more robust solutions, like this Ikelite case:
Ikelite Clear Accessory Case but it's a little clumsier IMO, and I'm not sure it will hold CC/DL/Cert cards.
Or a repurposed camera housing or dive light. Again it's been discussed before, do a search.

For CC, license and key, you can just fit into your wetsuit pocket that is usually inside where the zipper is. Otherwise, put it in BC pocket.

Truck and room keys can get wet, just rinse them with fresh after the dive. In Bonaire, I stick both in the pocket of my bathing suit that I wear under my wetsuit, to minimize the chances of them falling out. Credit cards can get wet too, but I usually leave them behind. So can my driver's license, but I don't bring that with me - it stays in my wallet in the hotel safe. If I want to bring cash, I'll stick a few bills in a doubled ziplock baggie and hope for the best. Usually I'll just stash a few guilder coins in the ashtray or a small bill under the floor mat, just enough cash if we want to buy an ice cream or cold drink on the way back, never any amounts that I'd worry about if someone rifled through the truck and took it. Distances are small enough in Bonaire that you're rarely more than a half-hour from your hotel, unless you're in the national park.

Old underwater camera housing for your 35mm from back in the day.

Back
Top Bottom