Soft Weights Confiscated by Airline?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Togalive

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So I've had the opportunity to go diving out of the country, and I havent really ran into any issues with dive gear and security measures or customs. However, my parents just returned home from a trip to Catalina Island, and apparently their still-somewhat wet ankle weights were confiscated by the TSA in LAX because they thought they were bomb materials. While I can't blame TSA for doing this, I still find it curious because I've never had any problems with still-wet soft weights in airports before. It got me to thinking, have you experienced this? or perhaps what dive gear have you had confiscated by TSA?

Toga

I had some hard belt weights pulled once. I stuck a couple in my carry-on as the checked luggage was maxed out weight-wise. They told me that they could be used as a weapon. I guess the rest of the scuba gear in my checked luggage and my laptop could NOT be used as a weapon...

Never had the issue in many trips abroad. BTW, the title would be more fitting TSA confiscated. They do not run an airline!

I've had mine swabbed for suspicious material, but not confiscated.

They do get odd looks from the people on the X-ray monitor.

However they're normally more upset that I don't bother taking my laptop out of my rucksack. It's an X-ray people, it doesn't matter if I take it out of the wafer thin rucksack and lay it on top!!!!!!! /RANT

When I came back from Malaysia, through LAX 2 yrs ago, I was not allowed to carry- on my Dive Rite HID canister light (NiMH batteries), as they said it could be a weapon. Even though I had carried it with me all the way to Malaysia & from Malaysia back to LAX:confused:. I tried to explain that is was a specialized, cave diving light. The TSA officer there puffed out his chest, saying that he was a diver & had never seen a light like that before (maybe he ought to read a few forums like this & / or some technical forums :shakehead:) & would not allow it to be carried on. I had to check my carry- on suitcase. When I arrived home, guess which bag was missing? I was pissed, as the bag also contained my regulators, computers & diving mask (prescription). The bag finally showed up a few days later intact (thank God), but during that time I had to teach & had to use the shop's rental equipment; I was hating life during those classes.

My ball point pen can be used as a weapon, my belt, my necktie, the list is almost endless .... no security in the US for years and now they have gone overboard.

Took me almost 40 mins to go through the "fast track" at JFK last month, and some passengers did not make the flight because the TSA appear to rather inefficient IMHO. Mind you many of the passengers seem to be clueless too.

One of the biggest frustrations with TSA is that the rules are whatever they damn well decide them to be at the moment ... you really can't predict how any of these people are going to react, or what type of equipment is suddenly going to be considered a potential weapon.

Never had a problem with weights ... but it's probably because I just don't take them with me when I fly ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I've never had anything taken from me but except for this last trip, I have always had to open my pelican case and show them my video system, show them how it works, and let them swab it for bomb material. This last trip however, I did get an agent at the monitor who was a diver. He knew exactly what I had in the case and let me through without checking. That was a nice change.

It's an X-ray people, it doesn't matter if I take it out of the wafer thin rucksack and lay it on top!!!!!!! /RANT

Ummmm, yes it does.

BTW, the title would be more fitting TSA confiscated. They do not run an airline!

The airlines, however, do run TSA. Make no mistake about that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom