Deep Dive-Definition

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

roadrun810

Reaction score
What is the depth range for a deep dive/ I am newly certified in open water and understand this certification is good to 60 feet. What is involved in the deep dive speciality class? I was certified by an SSI instructor and will continue with that course of study. Thanks!

Some of the agencies like SSI and PADI will define deep dive as anything below 60 feet. There are other considerations when you go deep that you perhaps need to be more cognizant of such as shorter no decompression limits, increased chances of nitrogen narcosis, etc... All these should be covered in your course.

Most that I remember recommend this
O through 60 open water
60-100 advance open water with no deco
Deep diver to wreck diver 100-120ish to maybe 130 with no deco time
First master you skills really good then practice your water buoyancy skills them move up this will in long run make you a better diver and dive all you can most of the time the more dives you get the more comfortable you will get hope this helps.

I am not the expert but here's my contribution.

Most recreation certifying agencies will define anything deeper than 60 feet as deep dives. The course will cover areas like what will happen and what you may experience when you go deeper than that.

Some courses will also make you perform a task on the surface and then again at the bottom of a deep dive to allow you to experience (nitrogen narcosis) the difference.

But they (not covered in the course but some instructors may share) do not go into the physics of why it happens.

The more technical courses will go more into the technical aspects of deep diving and the knowledge covered is definitely more than the recreation diving agencies. Nitrogen Narcosis, Oxygen Toxicity, CO2 build-up, Deep-water blackouts, mixed-gases, tasks handling....... are some of the topics covered.

Diving is DANGEROUS!!!!!...... tell all your friends dont start diving... and leave the reefs all to us.. :eek:ut:

:) Dive smart = Dive safe

Dive within your limits and enjoy...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom