diving trip on a budget

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stewartlbz

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
:depressed: Hello everyone out there reading this. Its 97 Degrees in Chico, C.A. today and feeling a little parched without water. Anyways i am in need of help with findng a place to dive for my 30th birthday. My girlfriend and i are looking to find a place to dive that has sharks and big fish. We are on a budget though which means no more than 1200 each, and we would like to be on a vacation for at least a week of course longer is always better. So there is my problem. We have access to the San Francisco Bay area airports for our flight. any ideas..... anyone.... the 1200 would have to include airfare,accomidation, and hopefully the diving.

Thanks for the help

Dustin

When people ask me for recommendations for affordable dive vacations, I generally steer them towards Cozumel and Bonaire.

For most people, Cozumel diving is done from boats. This adds significantly to your vacation costs, but you should be able to find affordable round-trip airfare from the West Coast.

If you're staying longer than a week, Bonaire can actually turn out to be a better "deal" (on a cost per dive basis). Once you foot the bill for round-trip airfare, on-island accommodations, truck rental, and unlimited shore diving packages are quite affordable. Unfortunately, you probably won't be seeing sharks and other "big fish" on Bonaire shore dives. It's a really good time, though.

Considering your experience level, I'd recommend Bonaire. It's a wonderful place to do a lot of easy diving...at your own pace. Can't beat the relaxation of diving on your own schedule.

Maybe down the road, once you have more experience and a larger disposable income, you can plan a trip to somewhere like the Galapagos.

Hi Dustin,

I might suggest something a little closer to home for you. How about a multi-day liveaboard in the Channel Islands followed by a couple days vacation on Catalina?

SoCal has sharks, include shark cage trips if you are so inclined (at least they used to), big fish and plenty of great diving. And your travel expenses from Chico would be minimal.

I realize that you might be more interested in something tropical, but with your limited funds, you'll have a hard time coming up with a week in a nice location. If you had $1200 plus airfare, your options would be much greater.

Jerry

Kayak is your friend. I found round trip airfare to Cancun from Wisconsin, including a hotel in walking distance to my favorite dive shop, for just over $600. Eating is cheap, if you get out of the hotel. I only wish I could get away next week.

What about channel islands on the Peace Spectre or Raptor?

With the Peace and Spectre you can sleep on the boat for free and the harbor is full of bars and restaurants. I just booked a 3 day lobster trip on the spectre for 369 including meals and air.

Diving Scuba Vacation, Channel Islands, California

Peace Dive Boat

Heres the Raptor but you will have to book a hotel: Welcome to the Raptor Dive Charters Website located in Ventura Harbor, California

If you could find a way to swing the airfare (frequent flier miles, credit card points, silent auction, wealthy in-laws, etc) then $1,200/pp for a week is very attainable. Check out Curacao and some of the places in Grand Cayman with shore access. The Florida Keys might be slightly north of your budget, but depending how much diving you expect to do you may be able to make that happen as well.

If you have no way to get the airfare taken care of then I'd take the money and get a nice rental in Monterey for the week and just shore dive. Or something similar further south (Catalina, Redondo, La Jolla, etc).

Another way to cut your own costs- find another couple or more to go with you. It complicates things, but I find it is a lot of fun. Cost reduction in this case could come in your accomodations mainly. Check out VRBO.
Cut costs on flights by leaving and returning in the middle of the week (Tuesday/Wednesday is generally the cheapest).
Also, $2400 for a florida trip is easily attainable for a week. You won't be staying at the ritz, but camp grounds, and travelodges are a dime a dozen. Though they are not as well publicized here in the US as other places, there are some Hostels around as well. From what I hear, there is plenty of shore diving in Florida.

Orbitz has some pretty good packages to hawaii from LA.

Also check cheap caribbean.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk

Camping on Kona. Tent cabins on St. John USVI.

All shore diving.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom