soft strap vs regular mask strap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi there,

Was wondering which strap is more reliable - a soft strap like the trident neoprene soft strap or the regular mask strap that comes with the mask. I recently tried the soft strap with my mask and snorkel and it seemed like the snorkel was too heavy for the strap.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Mike

The neoprene strap (the stand alone version; not just a neoprene cover) is more durable by specification than the silicone strap that came with the mask. If you were to treat both harshly then the neoprene will surely last longer. (ie leave them in the sun, ring them in our hands, toss them around without a care in the world etc.)

However speaking from experience my silicone mask strap is still tip top. Maybe a bit of yellow fading, but it's still good, and I've been using it constantly for a year, in the pool and out in the ocean. It's had it's fair share of rough treatment at the field research site.

I prefer the silicone straps because it allows your more room to slide your snorkel back so it comes in nice and straight into your mouth. No awkward angles or curves which very often cause jaw fatigue because you have to bite down to keep your snorkel in.
As a word of advice, if you use silicone snorkel keepers regardless of mask strap, it'll make the snorkel less rough on your mask strap. The plastic buckles that come attached to the snorkel very often aren't secure and will beat up your silicone strap over time.

I was sort of wondering the same thing, as I was given a neoprene strap several years ago as a gift, and have used it. I recently bought a new Atomic mask, and thought I would try its strap. Seemed like my entire trip the strap that came with the mask kept slipping, and I could never get that firm "its on" feeling. Based on the fact that my neoprene strap looks just like it did 3 years ago, I am going with neoprene as the better strap. I think the ones that come with the mask are just too stretchy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom