"Air Service Only" band on regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

colecaz

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Last time I had my regulator serviced the shop put a band on the hose that says "Air Service Only". The reg is a Scubapro Mk16 used with a R390 second stage. I thought these were both Nitrox compatible, from the Scubapro literature.

Is this a scam since I elected not to pay extra for "Nitrox Service" or is there something to it?

Attachments

• Regulator Band.jpg
    Regulator Band.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 364
I think they meant that they gave it an air service and didn't take steps to make it O2 clean. They were being stingy on the O2-compatible lube. As long as you're not exposing it to a mix higher than 40% it should be alright. I would question them about it though just to clarify. Ask them if they use different lubes between the air and nitrox service.

The SP regs you have are nitrox compatible[-]/O2 clean out of the box, however using them on an air tank makes them "O2 dirty" and unsafe to use with mixtures higher than 40%[/-]. If you ever expose gear to O2 levels higher than 40% it has to be Nitrox dedicated and kept O2 clean.
You can however use your reg for air and nitrox mixes below 40% without having to service it before each switch.

Last edited:
It's a scam ... at recreational levels, there is absolutely no ... as in never, ever ... need for O2 compatible servicing of regulator parts, since you'll only be breathing EAN40 or less.

Find a different dive shop ... they either don't know what they're doing, or they're intentionally ripping off their customers.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

My first blush, possibly cynical view, is this is a way to manuver you into spending more money on a "Nitrox service"...

All the best, James

The problem may be ANDI rather than just the dive shop: What is SafeAir?

It looks to me like ANDI is requiring O2 clean for nitrox cylinders and regulators.

If this is a Scubapro shop then just make sure they used the Scubapro recommended lube (Christolube) when they serviced that regulator and there should be no problem. If they did not use christolube, complain to them and then to Scubapro.

a MK16/R390 works also well with an EanX 50 or 55 :wink:
Tested for you.
But open the tank in water.

Thanks for the many comments. They confirm what I suspected, it's a scam to sell me the higher priced Nitrox service and unnecessary for typical nitrox use.

They are a SP shop and since the band says "Serviced to manufacturers specs" I couldn't imagine they would make it non-compatible with SP specs.

This is the kind of stuff that is driving LDS's out of business. Thinking that their customers are stupid or do not have access to the internet. These shops need to be exposed so that the good ones stand out more clearly. What's the name of the shop? You'd be helping fellow divers by letting them know what they are in for if the deal with this place.

And this is the kind of business practices some in the industry are trying to preserve? Keeping the consumer in the dark?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom