Looe Key Resort?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kimbalabala

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We're planning a trip to the Keys and have booked a stay and diving at Looe Key Resort. I prefer to get the opinions of divers rather than snorkelers or other vacationers - and I want honest reviews. Has anyone had a recent experience there (within the past year or so)? I don't expect wonderful rooms - I've gotten used to the idea that a "dive resort" can have a couple of meanings. We're going for the diving - not so much for a great view, lush gardens or luxurious room. So ... how is the dive operation? Is the staff attentive and seem to care that you are having safe and fun dives? How is the food at the Tiki Hut? Any special dive sites we should request other than the Adolphus Busch?

Thanks in advance! :)

I would post in this area of the board for some opinions/advice.
Florida Conch Divers

Good luck, I will be watching.

Chug
Not stayed there as the Outlaws live on "No-Name".

Haven't stayed there, but our experience with the dive op was less than stellar. We booked to do the 3 dive package on a Wednesday, as that's the day they do the Adolphus Busch. We were staying about 30 miles away (and we made sure they were aware of that.) 8:30 of the morning of the dives, as we're just about walking out the door (as check in was at 9:00), I notice my cell has a missed call, but no message from about 10 minutes earlier. The DH realizes that it's the dive op number so I call them. I get a "the boats not going out today." No other explanation, no effort to see if they can get us set-up with another dive op, nothing. Needless to say, we were really pissed - about the short notice on the cancellation, the lack of leaving a message when they called originally, and the no effort to even explain themselves. Can't say at this point if we would even consider trying to book with them again based on this experience.

Looe Key can be a total crapshoot from the weather/winds perspective.
Plan on an early morning dive for best success.
The afternoon seabreezes there make Looe Key about the first place to cave in, and the last place to come back.
I have had far better luck going out there with operators a little south of the typical cluster directly adjacent to the Looe Key area on three tankers.
A few bucks more, a longer day, but a backup plan already is in place that way.

Chug
Overdue as I have not dove there for over 17 years.

I have not stayed there but have dived with them (as recent as may 2011)

If I were you, I would dive with them, but only do one or two trips with them, including if possible the Wednesday trip going to the Adolphus Busch wreck. They seem to go to the same places on the reef, even though they say don't.

They are the least expensive in the area, specially if you buy the "pay for 5 do 6 dives" card (I think that was the way it was called). Easy to do if you are in a group, they allowed me and my wife to split it, so we were able to save some more.

The captain and crew were nice but by the second trip the scripted jokes were tired. They have a 10-15 min trip out of the canal and they take that time while going out to do the briefings and coming back in to settle your concession tab that the captain runs on the boat(hot dogs, sloppy joes, soft drinks) independent of the dive shop.

They seem to cater to the infrequent or new diver. I found annoying that every time as I was going into the water they would stop me and check that my valve was open.

I would recommend you sit near the middle entrance/exits to the boat that way you can be first in the water. They are dependent on the high tide to come in and out of the canal (its very shallow) so they kept a tight schedule, when somebody stayed out for longer than expected it cut on everybody's subsequent dives.

Everybody on the boat gets a ticket for a draft beer or a soft drink at the tiki bar, and the allowed to go to the pool even if you do not stay there. The tiki bar was ok, they had live music most nights. The food was ok for a bar, but I have not found any great food in the keys. I would NOT even go to the "boondocks grille and drafthouse" a little further south on the other side of the road, the food was poor (frozen vegetables passed as fresh and overcooked fish)

I would also give a chance to dive with innerspace or underseas on Big Pine if you are in the area

I have not been to Looe Key long ago, and I am unclear why anyone would book a trip with these folks when there is so much more in Key Largo. Food is OK, rooms are OK, diving is OK, whats not to like! :D

Reading recent reports on trip advisor folks generally had good things to say unless their trip got blown out. They seemed like inexperienced divers as the boats were crowded (33 divers) or at least cattle like, and no one minded. This spot seems to get blown out before others as some people were unable to dive with Looe Key Divers but went out with a charter out of Key West that same day. A couple posters were most upset that the Dive Op did not call them when they were canceling.

If you are looking for cheap rooms try Sunset Inn in Islamorada. They start at $55 a night.... don't tell anyone. You are at mm 82 with Sunset. Kinda a outdated hotel but it works.

I have not been to Looe Key long ago, and I am unclear why anyone would book a trip with these folks when there is so much more in Key Largo. Food is OK, rooms are OK, diving is OK, whats not to like! :D

Diving with them is OK, but diving Looe Key is excellent. It is the healthiest, nicest reef I have seen in the keys.

A couple of years ago we saw a tiger shark at Looe Key

Thanks everyone. You gave me much to think about. We've had great dives in the Largo area and are reconsidering ... :confused:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom