What type of tank are you using for doubles in cold water or warm?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jketron

Registered
Reaction score
What type of bottles are you using for back gas on your doubles setup? I'm looking to put together my first setup. I dive in mostly cold water (48-60 degrees). Steel back plate.

I dive a set of worthington LP85's. Had a set of LP95,s but found them to be too heavy for me on land.
I dive in the Chicago area in a Drysuit / SS BP/W with 42# wing.

Jim Breslin

I dive a set of HP 130's & a set of LP108's. Though heavy, I've gotten used to them. Both sets weigh nearly the same, so there's no difference to me. I primarily dive in a quarry in KY & cave dive in FL. It is 42 degrees year round below 60 ft & I also dive year round. I dive the cylinders with a SS Apeks backplate, & a Dive Rite wing with 60# wing.

How much gas do you need?

Before going to sidemount I had a set of Al 80s and LP104s. The 104s were great for caves but they weigh a ton! The 80s were much easier to use for local diving. Unless you are doing really deep stuff some smallish steel tanks are probably the way to go.

Al80 Doubles w/ a 40lb wing and drysuit. I use a V-Weight and tail weight to avoid the need for a weight belt while remaining neutral if the tanks are empty.

That is the same setup most of the people I dive with use.

I dive what I need for the dive I want to do. Recreational dives, I dive LP72s (which I loathe) or LP85s (which I love). For tech dives, especially if I want to do a second dive that day, I use HP100s. HP100s are very popular with tech divers around here.

HP100 (Faber) or LP85 (Faber) w/AL backplate - I do not need the additional weight of SS plate. I prefer the LP85s in warmer water, too bad I am "borrowing" them - I want to keep 'em :D

Faber steels, 12litre for singles and 15 liters for doubles.

I breathe more than most. Guess it's partly cause I am a bigger guy. I like double 120cf tanks because of how the weight is distributed, but they are heavy. I dive steel plate and DUI 350. I went to the platform In Dutch Springs and dumped all the air in my bladder and suit (finally a skill for which you should kneel). I can swim them up no problem.

Last edited:
For me Worthington HP100's do the trick. I did switch from a SS plate to an AL plate though since I was head heavy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom