Newfoundland invaded by jelly fish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divingmoose

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
:shocked2: We've been dive near our home in Harbourmille fortune bay for 4 years and never have we seen the jellyfish like there was this summer at 13:30 high tide on Aug 9 2011 we were diving in Little Harbour beach for mussels and as we descended in 15 feet of water all we could see were jelly fish thousands of them as far as our eyes could see the upper 6 feet to the surface was almost solid with them.
The vision was amazing under the jellys the vis was about 100ft. we could not believe what we were seeing our 45 min. mussel dive turned into a 45 min. jelly fish watch we were mesmerizer. Unfortunately we did not bring our camera. we did go back 2 days later with the camera the vis was crappy and there were still lots of jellys but not like the first time PICT0051.jpg we loved to see them again but we wonder why so many jelly fish have come to the south coast maybe they were coming up the golf steam ahead of Irene. Anyone have any idea why they were here???:idk:

I'v seen this happened once before. It was late august and I made a dive at rattling brook in the Bay Of Islands. Thousands of jelly fish everywhere was a amazing dive I did have my camera and took some awesome pictures (I will try to dig them up later).

Incredible, they have been VERY abundant in Florida now for most of the summer...maybe they finally got op there?

g2's link to an article was an interesting read, and it left me with a question (if they might replace other creatures as a dominant force in the ecosystem, for example)...can we eat them?

Turns out you can! Check this out!

Jellyfish - the other transparent meat. Who knew?

Richard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom