FYI (Concerning Jelly Invasion in FL)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

USVet96

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
For those that have been following the Jelly fish invasion into South Florida in the last few weeks, here is an update:

Went shore diving today in Miami (off Ft. Lauderdale beach) at Oakland Park Reef. Vis was about 20 feet and depth about 35 feet. Dive time 10:18 - 11:55 AM.

There was a strong current (about 5 - 8 feet below surface) but not too bad ON the surface. Dove at almost slack water and tide was going OUT.

There were a handful of Jellyfish 1st appearing around 80 feet from the shore. Continued out to sea and did NOT see that many at all. There was a school of them (about 1,000 lol) around one of the reefs I was looking at, but there were hardly ANY other Jellyfish around at all, and almost non-existent at depth (35'). They were still there and still around, but so far and few between that you could a) dodge and swim around them, or allow them to swim around you, b) that you didn't have to watch vigilantly for them or worry about accidentally swimming into one that you didn't notice, and c) I did NOT get stung at all.

This was a HUGE RELIEF to me. A few weeks back I did a charter boat dive in South FL and got stung by like 60 - 70 jellyfish. VERY UNCOMFORTABLE and VERY UNPLEASANT.

Today was GREAT :)

It appears as if they have moved on, or are in the PROCESS of moving on.

FWIW - Water temp was 90 degrees, but I wore a full 1 mil suit for Jelly protection, not the water temp. Turns out I did not need it and was a little warm today lol. But I'd rather have THAT and be warmer than I would like vs the alternative and getting attacked and welted by them bastard Jellyfish lol.

Hope this help

USVet

thanks for the update! I was out in boyton beach on sat and there were very few as well. First dive at 110' I didn't see any (others reported a couple) and the second dive on a 65' reef there were a few in the 5'-30' range but not bad at all, they made for some fun photography during safety stop.
I was the only one on boat in shorts and a rash guard (lol) and I didn't get stung at all

Did a Blue Heron Bridge dive Sunday and a LBTS Hibiscus shore dive Sunday afternoon.
Some jellys in the shallower water near the beach at BHB but near the big bridge pilings
and over near the wall and along the channel I did not see any. Saw one on the way
back over to the beach area and then a few more right at the beach. On the inside edge
of the second reef at LBTS I saw one or two and then maybe three or four as I worked my way
back across the first reef and toward shore. About 10 ft viz at the bridge and maybe 20 ft viz
at the second reef at Hibiscus. The viz dropped off a lot over the first reef and toward shore due
to the seas that were still up a bit on sunday. All in all two good dives !

Still bad in Key West?
Heading down Friday an we were hoping irene took them all north.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom