Do You Like Sea Lions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rainer

Contributor
Reaction score
Then come to Southern California. We have plenty. :)

[vimeo]28308218[/vimeo]

Video is from our first dive this past Saturday (8/27/11) off the Spectre at Anacapa Island. Sand + sea lions = dirty water; these guys are silt monsters! Still, some of the most fun you can have in less than 20' of water.

Overall, just a great day to be out diving. We headed to Santa Cruz Island for our next three dives, had over 60' of visibility at two of the sites and water temps on the bottom of 66F (best visibility and warmest water I've seen at SCI). Of course, I didn't get any video on those those dives... Will just have to go back next month!

hah, who doesn't like sea lions?? :wink:

What a fun dive....and the fun only continued throughout the day! Thanks so much for posting the video and letting me relive the dive :D

Can't believe we've had TWO just amazing dives with sea lions this year. Think we can get lucky and go for the three-peat next month?

:confused: Wow, this thing just pixelated all to pieces, both the embedded and watching the link on vimeo.

Anyone else having that problem?

EDIT: Okay, it works fine from home. I guess work has somebody doing something to something else . . .

Beautiful video - I can't wait dive the kelp forest!

Last edited:
We got those stinky things in NorCal too ya know. They are always fun to see underwater. Although they have scared the crap out of me underwater a few times. At 90' getting hit by one hard enough to spin me is one example. Then holding my hand on a seal lions chest as it is trying to closer to my face than the one foot distance I was trying to maintain. Of course there are also harbor seals that are cute sneaky nibblers that get you when you aren't expecting them to.

Anyhow what do you think of Mola frisbee?Sea lion vs mola mola.jpg

Thanks for sharing the video :cool2:

Me and the wife are so looking foward to seeing them this fall.

I was on the Peace Saturday (did you see us wave at you?) and conditions were really excellent up there.

EDIT: Okay, it works fine from home. I guess work has somebody doing something to something else . . .

Beautiful video - I can't wait dive the kelp forest!

Glad to hear it indeed works! At the rate you're hitting new dive locales (color me jealous!), I bet you'll soon find your way over to our coast. You'll love the kelp forest. It's just so different than anything else I've dived. Really beautiful.

We got those stinky things in NorCal too ya know. They are always fun to see underwater. Although they have scared the crap out of me underwater a few times. At 90' getting hit by one hard enough to spin me is one example. Then holding my hand on a seal lions chest as it is trying to closer to my face than the one foot distance I was trying to maintain. Of course there are also harbor seals that are cute sneaky nibblers that get you when you aren't expecting them to.

Anyhow what do you think of Mola frisbee?

Thanks for sharing the video :cool2:

Thanks! Can only imagine the fright of getting bumped unexpectedly. I must say, though, for all the times they've come close (including three of us scootering with *several dozen* at a time), I've never once actually had one make contact with me. They have incredible control over their bodies in three dimensions. The Mola pic is priceless!

Me and the wife are so looking foward to seeing them this fall.

You'll love them! Hope you both have some GREAT dives!

I was on the Peace Saturday (did you see us wave at you?) and conditions were really excellent up there.

I totally missed seeing you guys. Sounds like you also got blown off Anacapa. We actually had amazing conditions over at SCI on two of the three dives there (the other was in pretty awful vis). Glad we got to sneak in the one dive at Anacapa with the sea lions, though!

Oh, Chris, what a WONDERFUL video! It really captures the magic of one of the best dives I've done in my whole life, down to and including doing snap rolls with the scooter, and having the puppies come and "count coup" on the scooter noses when we weren't moving fast enough to keep them entertained.

This is truly one of the apex dives in the world, I think.

Reactions: Jax
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom