Are the Goliath Grouper running off the Coast yet?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Danielle's_Dives

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Can anyone tell me if the Goliath Grouper are running off the Coast yet and if so, is there someone you recommend diving with? I think this may be a nice anniversary surprise for hubby.
Thanks

Can anyone tell me if the Goliath Grouper are running off the Coast yet and if so, is there someone you recommend diving with? I think this may be a nice anniversary surprise for hubby.
Thanks

Yes...they are massing now :)
See last week's video Trip to Palm Beach to dive with Goliath Groupers! - YouTube on the wreck of the Mispah.

Good boats for this include ( and not in any particular order):
  • Narcossis
  • Pura Vida
  • Little Deeper
  • Jim abernethy Scuba Adventures
  • Bill Walker Dive Charters
Find them here South Florida Dive Journal > Find a Dive Boat

How long do the groupers hang around? I'd like to go next month sometime. Need to find a hotel and nearby dive shop or package deal so I won't need to rent a car. Anyone?

Groupers were in Boyton Beach this past weekend! vis wasn't all that great but we did the wreck of the MV Castor(I think?) and there were about 20-25 of em on it. looking to head up north and check out some of the other areas, I hear they are around till late october :D

If you want to see 100 to 200 at a time, dive in Jupiter and do the Hole in the Wall dive. Yesterday there were several hundred gathered. This is a 120 ft dive, must be advance and nitrox would help. The Goliaths should be around for a few more weeks. PS Also the Zion Train wreck trek was thick with them. I used Emerald Charters to do these dives.

If you want to see 100 to 200 at a time, dive in Jupiter and do the Hole in the Wall dive. Yesterday there were several hundred gathered. This is a 120 ft dive, must be advance and nitrox would help. The Goliaths should be around for a few more weeks. PS Also the Zion Train wreck trek was thick with them. I used Emerald Charters to do these dives.
Thanks for the tip! Gonna have to check this out

Thanks for the tip! Gonna have to check this out

I will be doing the Hole in the Wall dive with some of my buddies next week. This can be the most spectacular dive in the hemisphere, on the right day...some days it is just cool..other days it is beyond belief. I'll be doing this on Narcosis.

One thing that should be said....I was big on wanting to share the Goliath Grouper experience with divers all over....it is just too cool...wrecks like the Mispah, the Castor, and the Zion, are dives "most competent divers" will have a ball on, and will not be over their heads....

The Hole in the Wall is a different story....You can easily hit 150 doing this dive, if you stray just a hair off the ledge, because you see some lobster or something..and there is a lot of, "or something" on the Hole in the Wall dive.

This is a drift dive that makes diving Juno ledge, with what you think is a ripping current, a no current dive. To dive it in a reasonable way, you need to descend at over 100 feet per minute, 250 per minute is better still. This insures that when you are in the right place at the surface, when you hit bottom, it will still be the right bottom :)

This is an ultimate adventure dive, and one with more challenge than the majority of tech dives to 280 feet. George Irvine has said this is his favorite dive, and I will say that it is mine...but this is also a dive that could kill a diver without the experience or training for it.

Most boats will only take out divers with serious Tech credentials to dive the Hole in the Wall, and this needs to be the way it is.

If you have done plenty of tech, this is "THE Dive", as Chuckitall said. But I would not want to drive someone here that gets hurt, which is why I was not raving about the Hole in the Wall for a goliath Grouper dive.

Dan, totally agree. If you are not ready for this dive, don't do it. I was on the dive a few years ago when a diver (Frank) just disappeared after going through the Hole. Another diver ripped my reg out of my mouth because he was out of air in 16 min. Turned out OK. This can make you a very good diver if you do it several times and learn to manage current, air, compass, bouyancy (at all times). I do this dive weekly and the dive can be done at 110 ft and still see everything. To go through the Hole it becomes a 135 to 147 ft dive.

....... Also the Zion Train wreck trek was thick with them. I used Emerald Charters to do these dives.............

Jupiter Dive Center went out to the Zion wreck trek (which includes the Miss Jenny and Enzo Bonaire) on August 19th and there were many many aggregated on the three wrecks. That particular day, the current was light and vis was about 80 feet: a spectacular experience.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom