First day with the new BC?! Just purchased my first back inflate BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fdarden

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I have finally traded in my old Seaquest pro jacket style BCD for an Aqualung Dimension back inflate BCD. Although I have only been able to try it in the pool it seems very comfortable. I will be diving with it for the first time this weekend. Does anyone have any tips for the new back inflate owner? One thing I did notice is that I seemed to need to tread water to remain upright in a comfortable vertical position. I carry a total of 12lbs lead. I places two pounds on either side of the tank in the ND weight pockets, and 4 pounds in each ditch-able pocket. Does this sounds reasonable? Since I have absolutely no experience with adjusting a BC like this I thought I would ask the group.

I think you'll be happy. I very much prefer my back inflate (Seaquest Balance) over any jacket style BC.

If you're having trouble remaining vertical, you're probably over-inflating. That will tend to push you forward. Personally, I flop backwards and lay on top of the BC at the surface. I can take a nap that way, if I want. Very comfortable.

You should put the weight wherever it works best for your trim. So long as you can swim up with an empty bladder (in case of failure), it doesn't really matter which pockets the lead lives in.

Last edited:
Thanks - I cant wait to try lying on the surface! I asked someone elses opinion about this and they think I am still over weight. So I am going to try reducing my weight. That make sense, if I am overweight the lift bag has to be inflated more.

......oh no!!!!!!!!!!
next you'll be into doubles with a bp/wing........
you're on a slippery slope!!!!!!:wink:
as was said earlier-don't over do the inflate at surface!
just enough to keep head up!-lying on back its like your own raft!!!!!!
you'll never go back to a jacket...
have fun
yaeg

j - No worries, I am a bit too old IMO for the technical crowd. I actually considered a HOG or BP&W setup, but realized that for me a little padding in the right areas is not a bad thing. If I switch to doubles it will be because I cannot get my air hog issue under control. (70-80 PSI/MIN) - Tropicgal, I am glad to hear you are dumping your old jacket style BC too. T

I've heard people say that the back inflates may cause issues on the surface with tipping you forward, but those that I dive with that have the back inflate say they don't have this issue. The key I believe has been hit on already...proper weighting. Too much and you over inflate the bladder causing a bigger bubble to deal with.

BB

Yes, and yes! I used my new BCD yesterday, as did TropicGal. Totally impressed. sitting at the surface was very stable, much more so than in a jacket. diving, and swimming were very easy in it. I love this new BCD!

j - No worries, I am a bit too old IMO for the technical crowd. I actually considered a HOG or BP&W setup, but realized that for me a little padding in the right areas is not a bad thing. If I switch to doubles it will be because I cannot get my air hog issue under control. (70-80 PSI/MIN) - Tropicgal, I am glad to hear you are dumping your old jacket style BC too. T

Hahahahaha. Posted August 31st 2011. Care to tell the crowd what setup you are diving now?

Back
Top Bottom