at what point are you..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

blackvans1234

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Not a beginner anymore?
I feel as though AOW does not make someone not a beginner, whereas number of dives (usually) is a better show of experience

When is someone not a beginner, (so intermediate), and when would you consider them advanced? (not in the CERT world, but the experience world)

I'm also very excited because i'm coming upon the change on my SB # of dives!

man florida makes it easy to dive :p

Love the enthusiasm :) Thats what helps build a better diver :wink: Its ironic though you ask what makes a diver and its kind of like anything else in life. Some people can watch you show them how to solve a math problem one time and take off with it. Others have to take longer to do the same math problem. Well Scuba is the same way. I have seen some divers do dive #6 and have it fairly well together (Rarely if ever perfected though) and I have seen others who boasted of thousands of dives and rescue certified or better and leave more clouds of silt then hurricanes passing through.

Now I consider anyone who has a sound mind and keene ear for listening a good diver. Anyone who puts what they hear to use and learns from it is an excellent diver. Divers who brag of their experience and how they are such good divers are out of touch with reality divers.

Yeah, what k said. Saying someone is advanced is a tough one. It's relative--Compared to this guy, I'm advanced, but compared to that guy I'm not. As far as not being a beginner, a good yardstick may be when all weighting/trim and buoyancy issues are pretty much solved, and you are comfortable with your equipment and the whole process from gearing up to rinsing it all off.

I think that just like with anything else in life, I think it depends on the person. Some people can have 100's if not 1000 dives and still look like a beginner underwater and then there are those that continually try and improve themselves and they look like they have been diving for years with only 50 to 70 dives. Nothing gives you experience like doing, so dive safe, dive often and learn.

I don't think any diver stops learning. What makes them advanced? That is hard to answer.

I guess if you spend most of every dive not thinking about what you are doing that counts for something.

If you have to focus on breathing, trim, buoyancy, etc you have a ways to go.

Exactly TM It would be like saying who is a better diver of two divers. Say both divers had 250 dives. it would look impressive on paper but the question would be who learned from their 250 dives? How did they achieve them. Was it 10 dives a year for 25 years or 250 dives in 1 year. Research this board even and you will see some serious complaints about instructors have arouse. INSTRUCTORS???? I have witnessed divers who were supposedly well experience even do some bone headed things like poke at stingrays who were buried in the sand and I have witnessed people get dangerously close to those morays to take that breathe taking photo.

Ill say what makes a good diver is simple and this is my honest answer. A good diver is someone who is diving when he is learning and learning when he is not diving. The aquatic world is not mans and therefore we are only visitors to this magic world. A good diver knows this and respects the aquatic world. He strives to learn good buoyancy so that he does not disturb this beautiful world and he strives to learn about those who live in its world so he can better understand them and help perserve them. He is one who loves new divers and realizes its by sharing your knowledge with them that they will learn to respect them the way they should be respected.

A good diver loves the aquatic world enough to share his knowledge with those who do not dive as it can help them better understand their actions and the consequences it has on the sea or lake floor. A good diver is someone who believes in the aquatic world enough to come to its rescue on occasion and bring along bags to help remove those harmful pollutions that plague the underwater world. Also a good diver is someone who brings with him to the aquatic depths a love unsurpassed for it and exictement to explore the underwater realm yet leaves only bubbles and happy memoies. Thats what makes an advanced diver

Some people can have 100's if not 1000 dives and still look like a beginner underwater

Show me a guy with 1000 dives that looks like a beginner.......I want to see that!

Show me a guy with 1000 dives that looks like a beginner.......I want to see that!
Be careful what you wish for. Perhaps someone who logged 2000 dives when they got certified back in the 70s and stopped diving say in the 80s. Now hes back in 30 years later :idk:

Intelligence,common sense, respect and the wisdom/maturity to never stop learning no matter who or where the knowledge comes from......

I think that you get past beginner when you plan and execute dives well, and the basics you focus on in OW training become second nature and you start having some real fun.

When you use an instructor, or DM, as a hired gun to improve a skill that you need or find important, not dependant on them to plan your time underwater and your safety.

Go out and dive a lot, you will know when you are not a beginner.

Bob
-------------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom