Blue Heron Bridge questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SlainteMolly

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am a soon to be certified new diver (along with my soon to be 14 yr old daughter). We have two reasons for taking up diving - she does photography and wants to get better underwater shots than she can snorkeling; and I want to see an octopus. From reading this forum it sounds like blue Heron Bridge is the place to go, and I have lots of questions:
Are the Jellies seasonal? stings are an added factor that as a new diver I'd like to avoid
When do the water temps start dropping? we are used to the springs, and have exposure systems to account for 72ish degree water, not sure I want to dive much colder than that right away.
Is there boat traffic (do we need a flag)?
Anybody interested in guiding a couple of newbies?
does visibility improve in the spring when there aren't big storms swirling around the Atlantic?
Are there local dive shops to rent tanks?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

I haven't seen the jellies like this before, since I started diving in 2008.

The water temps usually start dropping in Nov. Not sure I've had it colder than 72 at the bridge regardless of time of year.

You need a flag, and you want to avoid going out in the boat channels. Also keep an ear out for boat noise because it isn't unheard of for them to come in to the areas that people dive.

I am sure you could find someone to dive you if you put a post up in the "Blue Heron Bridge Trolls" thread near the time you plan on diving.

Visibility varies week by week. I'd say it is best in the summer, last weekend it was just down due to the waves churning up the beach (where the water comes from at high tide.)

Force-E is just over the bridge, they rent tanks, as well as Pura Vida on Singer island.

I haven't seen the jellies like this before, since I started diving in 2008.

The water temps usually start dropping in Nov. Not sure I've had it colder than 72 at the bridge regardless of time of year.

You need a flag, and you want to avoid going out in the boat channels. Also keep an ear out for boat noise because it isn't unheard of for them to come in to the areas that people dive.

I am sure you could find someone to dive you if you put a post up in the "Blue Heron Bridge Trolls" thread near the time you plan on diving.

Visibility varies week by week. I'd say it is best in the summer, last weekend it was just down due to the waves churning up the beach (where the water comes from at high tide.)

Force-E is just over the bridge, they rent tanks, as well as Pura Vida on Singer island.

Spot On djtimmy77

Also the BHB is an awesome for photography and is not nearly as intimidating for newly certified divers like a charter could be. Just plan your dives around the High slack tide and you and your daughter will be good to go.

As stated by djtimmy77, just post when you want to dive there and you are looking for an experienced buddy for the BHB and someone will help you out. Us divers will find any excuse to ditch work and dive...LoL I would gladly love to guide you and your daughter, however I am in North Florida and usually only make a trip down 1x a month.

Michael

Sub'd

I'm in PBG and haven't done BHB yet.

Rat-man... go to Blue Heron Bridge Trolls and post that you would like to dive BHB and when. There are plenty of BHB Trolls who will answer you and offer to show you around. At that point the chances are high that you will want to become a troll too. So, dive with caution as trollism is possible and highly likely.:eyebrow:

Nice score on the gear. I LOVE the annual Force E tent sale!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom