Specialty Courses in Maui?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

elwebst

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I'm heading to Maui next February (just got the confirmation; work is paying for it! Hee hee!), and would like to do a specialty course while I'm there. So far I have AOW, Boat, UW Naturalist, Altitude, two distinctive specialties, and 25 dives, so I'm still relatively new to the game.

I'd love Deep, since the great vis in Hawaii makes it worthwhile (I got my AOW in Kona). I'm looking for an outfit where everyone is casual and relaxed, not hyperactive cattle boat operators looking to herd everyone in and out as fast as possible. On the other hand, I want the course to actually happen; I've had operators before say things like "Well, yeah, I COULD do one of those, but, Jeez, that's a lot of work. How 'bout we just head out for a couple of dives?"

Any recommendations? It's also my first time in Maui, and I'm excited!

Thanks!

We've taken several courses from Maui Dive Shop and have found that they do a great job. It has been a few years since we took our last one, but the head of their training program (if it's still the same person) is Bill Glenn, a retired professional diver from the PNW. Great non-nonsense guy who believes in safety and ensuring you know what you came to learn. We have a lot of respect for him.

As far as operators to dive with when you're not training, try Ed Robinson's and Extended Horizons. Try to get over to Lanai for a couple of dives. Several of the Maui operations (both of the above) run boats over there. Also, be sure to go to Molikini. The back wall is a good dive, but our favorite is Reef's End. In February, the weather can be a bit of a problem if there's a strorm that murks up the water, but then the operators go south and find some pretty good dive sites past LaPeruse Bay.

Shore diving can be pretty good there, too. Have a great time!

Let's get wet!! :tree: :tree: :tree:
Eric.

You won't regret getting a nitrox certification as offers so many advantages including more bottom time and hang over relief.

Other possibilities are:

1. Drift diver (done on the back side of Molokini)
2. DPV (done on shore dives) The scooters are a blast!
3. Fish ID (25% of fish in Hawaii are found only in Hawaii)

My experience has been with Lahaina Divers. Although many consider them a cattle boat operator, they offer specialties as a nominal tack on to their charter prices ($39 for many). As they leave from Lahaina, they are closest to Lanai (the Cathedrals are great) and the longer trips to Molokini are great for whale watching (especially in February)

No matter what specialties you choose and which operation you choose, try not to miss Molokini. The vis is spectacular and there is a good chance to see Mantas and white tips. Also, in February, the crater will be echoing with whale song (pretty cool) Be sure to take a camera on all boat rides as there should be lots of opportunites for whale pictures.

I'd really encourage you to contact Maui Dreams Dive Company -- especially Teri !

They offer a wide range of specialties, their prices are excellent, and they are all great instructors -- You'll have lots of fun and will definitely learn the material.

Depending on your interests -- I'd suggest Nitrox, Night, Photo, and Scooter specialties.

Good luck!

give me a call. I'd be happy to conduct a Deep Class with you. I will even do it for free as long as you just cover my expenses -- BTW on the mainland.

Perhaps work will cover this as an educational expense for you :D

Enjoy the diving!

Otter

I'm a Maui resident and I would second the motion from Ladycute1. Go to Maui Dreams for any dive needs and whatever specialty course you decide. They are the best dive shop on the island.

For boat dives, Ed Robinson and/or Mike Severns. If deep is important to you, try to do the back wall of Molokini. It's a deep drift dive. I also agree that Reefs end is a better molokini dive.

In February, Southside is better for shore dives. Maui Dreams can keep you informed of best sites for the day. If you are staying on the Southside logistics will be much better. That would be Kihei, Wailea, Makena...

Please dive responsibly. Don't touch, take only pictures, leave only bubbles, etc.

Aloha and have fun!

I meant that I am on the mainland but would be more than happy to conduct your Deep Speciality as long as your cover my expenses....

<mumbling to self> That must be why I haven't heard back ;-0

Thanks, all for the great suggestions! I'm psyched and will definitely check these shops out.

Otter, heh, thanks for the offer! Your generosity knows no bounds! :D

elwebst once bubbled...

Otter, heh, thanks for the offer! Your generosity knows no bounds! :D

I have often been told that I am a 'giver' :eek:ut:

Otter once bubbled...
I meant that I am on the mainland but would be more than happy to conduct your Deep Speciality as long as your cover my expenses....

<mumbling to self> That must be why I haven't heard back ;-0

See...the one problem one runs into here in SoCal waters is...it's FREAKIN' COLD! :D

~Matt Segal

Back
Top Bottom