Oxycheq Travel Stainless Steel Backplate vs. An Aluminum Blackplate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

daghastly1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm looking to setup my first BP/W and ran across OxyCheq's Travel Stainless Steel Backplate.
Oxycheq SS Travel Backplate [ROWB-01-04] - $136.00 : Cave Adventurers!, We will NOT be undersold!!!

I was wondering what the point of this device is if it weighs roughly the same as an aluminum backplate. Do the cutouts provide more maneuverability or is it just easier to pack? I'm wondering what are the pros and cons of using this thing vs. a standard aluminum backplate. Any insight would be very much appreciated.

TP

Also, does anybody know if the Oxycheq SS Travel Backplate will accomodate other wings? I'm leaning towards getting the HOG 32lb wing so whatever plate I get will have to fit that.

TP

Also, does anybody know if the Oxycheq SS Travel Backplate will accomodate other wings? I'm leaning towards getting the HOG 32lb wing so whatever plate I get will have to fit that.

TP
Like it says, 11" centers.

Good question, easier to pack, I suppose, but I don't see the point, as you lose all the side attach points.

Just measured my Hog wing. 11" from center to center of each set of holes (there's 3 sets on the 32# wing). So it should fit.

TP

And even if it doesn't quite fit you can always turn those bottom two holes (on the plate) into a slot

Those Oxycheq SS travel plates were designed to use with doubles. Each tank on the side will rest against your back and therefore it doesn't really matter if there is plate mass on the sides or not.
If you want to use a full size metal plate for travel then the aluminum plate is the better option.
Oxycheq has another option for a single tank travel plate, it's their ultra light fabric back pack/plate.
I hear good reviews about it.

Thanks for all the input. I'm far from diving doubles and I think I'd rather have the extra attachment points at this point. I think I'll just get a SS backplate for now.

TP

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom