Deco tank question about brand and buoyancy qualities of that brand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jketron

Registered
Reaction score
I'm new to tec and buying the equipment for tec. I'm looking for a AL40 deco tank.

I have read a lot of good thing about the Luxfer and how its nice that it is a little heavier when empty than others. If the empty weight is going to be a big role in choice (after all its a tank) and being a little less buoyant at the end is a good thing (less lead to carry) then the Wothington AL40 at +1.0lbs empty is better in that respect than a Luxfer AL40 at +2.3lbs

am I over thinking this or is the Worthington a better choice?

Aluminum SCUBA Tanks - Dive Gear Express

I heard the same and ordered a brushed finish, Luxfer 40. They were out of the brushed luxfer and sent a brushed finish Catalina instead. At first I thought there would be issues with the butt being to heavy as the tank pressure decreased.
It turned out not to be the case, my Catalina floats butt high. Maybe there are differences between the old Catalina 40's and the new ones.:idk:

I don't have a Luxfer to compare mine to. I'll be ordering some more 40's this winter, maybe I'll get some Luxfers next order.
Good question, I'm curious about this also.

-Mitch

I have 20 Luxfers and a Catalina. The Catalina seems to just be more floaty overall. TDL (Tech Diving Limited) has a chart on their website displaying the buoyancy characteristics of many different cylinders. I hesitate to say all, but they certainly cover the major easy to buy brands sold in the USA today.

I use and prefer the Luxfers. I keep the Catalina for the weirdo from the west coast that has to be different. :D

I fly out to dive in Key Largo all the time and sometime make the drive to Key West, I'll have to try your boat. I'll be sure to request the Catalina :)

I have two Catalina 40's that are butt light when depleted. They ride fine full or empty in my opinion. I've never dove with Luxfer 40's.

If my gear is available, I'll go with Scubapro 95's pushed to 3k psi (yes, burst discs have been upgraded). If I'm flying in, I'm comfortable with whatever is available - though I'm always going to taste the air and bellyache if the filter media needs a change. Of course, if you're somewhere like Cozumel, where a central compressor is used by all the major shops, you're stuck with their maintenance schedule...

If my gear is available,I'll go with Scubapro 95's pushed to 3k psi (yes,burst discs have been upgraded).

If you are diving LP95's why not use 5K burst disks and fill to 4000 cold. The cave way.

Any issue with using a luxfer 65?

Feedback on questions like you posted are based on if the equipment works for the user or not. I have only dived with Luxfers and like them as the work great and have "no-presence" feel to them. You don't know they are there. I am sure that lots of the other makes will also get good feedback from their userbase.

I know they work and nearly every other tech diver out there uses them. There must be some kind of message in that?!?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom