Someone Needs to Investigate These Videos of Shark Attack on Seal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SuSexFulDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I was in a local Scuba Shop today and a guy inside the shop told me about the video of a scuba diver who filmed a Shark eating a Seal. He told me to search for it on Youtube. I just finished watching the video, but when I watched Part 2 of the video, it looked VERY SUSPICIOUS to me. I may be wrong, but the Seals behavior was not Normal at all, while a shark is attempting to eat it, and you can see something tied around the seals neck, with maybe a fishing line to it so the seal can not swim away. It seem as if the seal could have been tied to something anchored to the bottom of the ocean? Also notice the slices of bait on the deck of the boat, as if they had been feeding the seals with the bait. I think they claimed to have been diving in that same area before the shark attack. It almost seems to me that they used those perfectly sliced strips of fish to lure the seal close to them and then they tied up the seal im guessing???????

I hope im wrong but something about it all do not see right. Look for yourselves.

Shark Eats Sea Lion - Catalina Island Part 1 - YouTube

Also I forgot to mention, how he just happen to make it seem like the Shark left such a Huge Hook in his bait bucket, Also the engine on that boat is running, but it does not scare the shark away? Either the shark or and the Seal was hooked or tied up to that spot and could not get away. Even the sound of that guy voice, the way he is talking and what he is saying just sounds creepy. I hope im wrong.

It is not uncommon to encounter sea lions which have been attacked by sharks off Catalina. I'cve seen carcasses floating at the surface that were disemboweled and even had one juvenile sea lion come up to me in the shallows at one dive site with a fresh bite mark that was bleeding. Anglers have captured images of giant sea bass attacked and eaten by large sharks off our coast as well, the most recent one being about 6 weeks ago.

Unfortunately, I saw nothing unusual about the ring around the second sea lion's neck. They become entrapped in nets and monofilament line that creates marks just like that. I doubt the anglers lured that one in and put something around its neck to keep it by the boat. It seemed to swim without obvious signs of being tethered.

The hook in the bait bucket did seem a bit strange though.

Thanks Dr. Bill

For helping me realize that what I saw in that video is not un common. It just seemed very strange, especially how close that seal with the rope around its neck would allow that shark to get near it, especially since another seal had just been killed in those waters close by. And those guys acted as if that Huge Hook came from that Shark and some how got caught on their ?BAIT? bucket.

I will take your word for it since you do have way more experience than I do in that area and diving. What do you think those strips of Fish were used for by those guys?

A sea lion can usually outmaneuver a large shark if it is aware of it. I've even heard of sea lions "mobbing" dangerous (to them) sharks to annoy them. Many of the kills inflicted on sea lions are from blind attacks when the shark comes unseen from below.

I do find it very strange that the large hook was left in the bait bucket. I can't imagine it came out of the shark's mouth and attached to it. That didn't make sense to me at all.

The strips of fish could have been used as bait depending on what species the anglers were targeting. It is possible they were used to lure the sea lion in as well.

Dr Bill..
why doe the shark keep circling the boat. he only throws little scraps at it. I dont think the shark cared about them...And was it a mako or white...

I'm not enough of a shark expert to tell which species it is from the video I saw... there was a fair bit of glare. Dentition would certainly help identify it along with fin placement and snout shape.

Most large sharks do not seem overly concerned about a boat in my experience. We had great whites checking out the skiff Michael Domeier used to dart tag them off Guadalupe back in 2005 and I've seen a number of pictures of them circling fishing boats off Catalina... not to mention two times a large shark, presumed to be a GWS, took a giant sea bass they anglers had hooked by accident.

I'm not enough of a shark expert to tell which species it is from the video I saw... there was a fair bit of glare. Dentition would certainly help identify it along with fin placement and snout shape.

Most large sharks do not seem overly concerned about a boat in my experience. We had great whites checking out the skiff Michael Domeier used to dart tag them off Guadalupe back in 2005 and I've seen a number of pictures of them circling fishing boats off Catalina... not to mention two times a large shark, presumed to be a GWS, took a giant sea bass they anglers had hooked by accident.

Thank you for the feed back Dr. Bill.. Nice talking to you today at the dive park....Very sad about the incident. We hope to learn more info, please write if you do. Hoping Ken post something....see at the park.

Back
Top Bottom