Anyone in S. Fl. have a BP/W I can try?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Darianis

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm toying with the idea of the BP/W because I'm not real happy with my BC and I want to replace it. I like the modularity of the BP/W configuration but as I'm on a budget I can't just drop a pile of cash on a new toy that I may not like. so I would like to borrow one for a dive at the BHB or Jupiter and see if it's the way I want to go. If you have one that you don't mine me using for a dive or two please let me know. I'll make it worth your time :)

Brownie's dive shops (in Ft. Laud and West Palm right near the BHB) can rent you a basic Halcyon rig. My wife and I tried them at a "demo day" at the BHB where you could dive one and we never went back to a jacket style BC.

I think you can rent one for 15 or 20 or so per day and they will fit it to you (which is very important--have a shop fit it to you and don't just borrow one). It is not much for a day and you can do BHB or a boat to get the feel.

I would definitely recommend giving it a try.

You don't have to buy halcyon of course, but I ended up buying used halcyon rigs.

I agree on "just trying one on." I tried that route before I got mine and the one I tried on was not fitted right. It was too big and it felt like I was rolling to one side almost the entire dive. It almost made me not want to get one.

Once I did get properly fitted, am now an owner of a BP/W, I am quite happy. :)

Guy... - when was the demo day you are referring to?

Thanks

go to Fill Express to rent one, they have everything you will need

The demo day was back in Jan or Feb but it was a one-time thing. Go for the rental instead. Again, don't borrow one unless the person is willing to adjust it to fit you. The initial fitting can take some time. My wife and I took over an hour to dial it in just right. The greatest thing about bp/w is that they are "one" with your body with no flopping, but ONLY if they are properly fitted. A shop like Brownies has great service and will fit you perfectly. That is the only way to really know the full difference between this and a regular BC.

The bp/w will be different from what you are used to. There are no pockets, no "cummerbund" no big padded straps. It is completely clean, and with most of the weight (the plate) and all the buoyancy on your back having even level position in the water is almost effortless. And, yes, you can float upright on the surface fine and swimming on your back is even easier.

Like I said, we never went back. My wife is newly certified, and I am very advanced, but even she saw the benefit right away, and after having achieved perfect bouyancy and trim in 12 feet of water (the hardest depth), she got out and said, "I want one of these!" It is not just for "tech" divers at all.

However, I don't want to seem like a "this is the only way" type of person. I do suggest you spend 25 or even 50 (for two days) and try it out. At least then you will know what you like.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom