What tools do you carry?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SimplyComplicated

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
As the dad, I wind up carrying the most gear in the family. Along with spare parts (mask straps, etc), tools, I have learned are a must. One dive, even though we checked his gear, my youngest son's alternate air hose loosened at the yoke and began leaking. Quick fix with a wrench, dive killer without.

Along with some emergency spare parts I dive with two light wrenches, a small knife with blunt tip as a screw driver and a few other things.

What are some of you taking with you that you find is a dive saver?

We take an Allen wrench set (useful for swapping or moving hoses if needed), a set of wire cutters/clippers (useful for trimming zipties, and zipties are useful for all kinds of things) and a Tobin tool (useful for taking apart inflators if they begin to leak or autoinflate). That's in addition, of course, to a supply of various sized o-rings.

Along with some emergency spare parts I dive with two light wrenches, a small knife with blunt tip as a screw driver and a few other things.

What are some of you taking with you that you find is a dive saver?

In my case basics are a small adjustable wrench, a multi-tool and bicycle tool.

In terms of spare parts, o-rings, spare mouthpiece, a length of 2mm bungee and some tie-wraps are essential. I have an assortment of other things too but those are the things I actually use on a regular basis.

R..

Always have a Leatherman, tie wraps, O-rings in a small waterproof Pelican box.

If I drive to the dive site in my Land Rover then I have enough tools in the back of it to re-build an engine if need be :rofl3:

A knife. If something breaks under water and I can't improvise then I'll just end the dive and fix it on the surface.

R..

I have a small save-a-dive kit with various tools and spare parts, but it stays topside.
The only "tools" I take with me underwater are one or more cutting tools (knife, shears, etc.) and signaling tools (SMB, mirror, whistle, etc.).
I keep a couple of zipties in a pocket because they can be quite useful and are made mostly of plastic. Good quality ones do have a metal tooth, though, so post-dive rinsing is a good idea.

If you find yourself frequently needing a wrench or other tools in the water, perhaps you might want to revise how you do your pre-dive checks (before you splash).

The "Tobin Tool" is an awesome tool which takes up almost zero space and weighs amost nothing as it is half air. And it's cheap. Everyone can own one. What an elegant solution.

I carry:
Torx, SAE & metric allen wrenches (the kind that fold into the handle)
Adjustable end wrench
1/2" wrench
multi-bit screwdriver
Channel-lock pliers
Wire cutters
Vise grips
Brass, plastic, & SS pics
Viton o-rings
Christolube & silicone
Length of shock cord and cave line
Butane lighter
Snap-lights
Spare batteries for electronics
LP, HP, and DIN adapter plugs
White duct tape
Clear packing tape
Black electrical tape
Pens and permanent markers
Zip-ties, assorted sizes
Inner tube rubber bands
Golf tees
Foam ear plugs
Folding knife
Spare buckle
Spare hardware for doubles bands
Hose holders
Empty ziplock bags
Zipper lube
Bolt snaps in various sizes

Just happen to have my kit in front of me. All fits into a Pelican case. It stays on the boat, or car if shore diving.

I carry:
Torx, SAE & metric allen wrenches (the kind that fold into the handle)
Adjustable end wrench
1/2" wrench
multi-bit screwdriver
Channel-lock pliers
Wire cutters
Vise grips
Brass, plastic, & SS pics
Viton o-rings
Christolube & silicone
Length of shock cord and cave line
Butane lighter
Snap-lights
Spare batteries for electronics
LP, HP, and DIN adapter plugs
White duct tape
Clear packing tape
Black electrical tape
Pens and permanent markers
Zip-ties, assorted sizes
Inner tube rubber bands
Golf tees
Foam ear plugs
Folding knife
Spare buckle
Spare hardware for doubles bands
Hose holders
Empty ziplock bags
Zipper lube
Bolt snaps in various sizes

Just happen to have my kit in front of me. All fits into a Pelican case. It stays on the boat, or car if shore diving.

Sounds like you need a "Tobin Tool."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom