Dive Rite Transpac tank setup question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cliffpiper

Registered
Reaction score
I was wondering, and tried googling, but couldn't find a answer that I understood. I am going to move forward from jacket style BCD's and I want to go into the Dive Rite Transpac. I know that this BCD setup can side mount, which I plan on doing in the near future. But for now, I need to back mount my tank, and I dive with a single back mount tank most of the time right now.

My question is this. Can the Transpac have a single tank, or even double, mounted on the back or is it strictly just for side mounting? Like I said, I will side mount in the future, but I only have one reg atm and need to get another for having 1 tank on each side for side mounting.

So yeah, can the Transpac back mount tanks? Thanks for your input. I hope I put this in the right topic category.

Thanks a lot rongoodman! Now I know for sure what I'm getting.

I typed Diver Rite into youtube, tons of vids on the configurations and setups.

dive rite - YouTube

As a Transpac owner, it will handle doubles with addapter/stabilizer plates, but I would not recommend it for anything bigger than Aluminum 80's, I have steel 98's and it's just not as stable/comfortable as a back plate.
For sidemount you need to add the nomad-xt butt-plate.

Mike D

Here's the description from Dive Gear Express--they say it will handle singles, doubles, or sidemount.

As a Transpac owner, it will handle doubles with addapter/stabilizer plates, but I would not recommend it for anything bigger than Aluminum 80's, I have steel 98's and it's just not as stable/comfortable as a back plate.
For sidemount you need to add the nomad-xt butt-plate.

Mike D

I agree with Mike. Transpac is great for singles and SM, but anything besides double AL80 or LP72 is a bad idea in backmount.

by bad idea they just mean it's not quite as stable. Because it's a soft plate, there will be a lot of tank rock as rotate in the water. I've dove it with HP100's and it's fine, but with LP95's it's a little wonky, and with 130's it's pretty wonky. If you know you're going into sidemount, just buy a nomad. Only issue with singles is the buttplate MAY cause the tank to be unstable without you in it, but you can remove the buttplate quite easily. Call CaveAdventurers for a killer deal on the nomad. It'll save you a lot of money in the long run

Back
Top Bottom