Debating getting a wrist computer, pros and cons

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

navyasw02

Registered
Reaction score
I'm on the fence about plopping down a bunch of money for a computer with AI and debating whether or not its worth it. I figured printing and laminating a few pocket sized tables from the Navy dive manual and taking those on a dive trip would be far more cost efficient, but having a wrist computer would be far more fun to play with and easier to travel with than taking a console spg. Any thoughts?

I have a dive computer built into my gauges, my son uses a wrist mount. If you enjoy tracking the details of your dive and critique your profile a computer is not only fun but safe. I plan my dive then dive the plan, so I'm not too worried about getting numbers on the bottom. However, things come up where the plan changes. I carry my plastic dive tables as a back up.

More and more dive ops are requiring a dive computer to get on their boat. At least that is what i am finding in my experience. BTW i have two computers, 1 console and 1 wrist mount

There is also no reason to plunk down money on an air integrated computer. Most will advise you to get an SPG on a hose as well. If the comp quits you have no idea how much air you have left.

I'm reading a variety of questions in your post.

1) Computer vs. no computer
2) Console computer vs. wrist-worn computer
3) Air-integrated (wrist) computer vs. non-air-integrated (I added this one)

I'm a fairly new diver. I dived with a console computer for my first ten dives or so (rental) and then was given a non-air-integrated wrist computer (lucky me!) when one of my buddies went to an air-integrated one. So I now dive with the computer on my wrist and a hose-mounted SPG at my side. Notes:

1) Although I learned tables, I have always dived with a computer, so I can't compare to not having one.

2) I love having the computer on my wrist. It has especially allowed me to easily practice slow, "even" ascents. In fact, I have wondered if I might be too dependent on it and should practice ascending without looking at it. At any rate, I really like having it there.

3) From observing my buddy's experience with the air-integrated wrist computer (in very random order):

a) It is a LOT more expensive initially
b) You have a smaller selection of computers (especially if buying used) to choose from (although this will probably shift)
c) It is kind of neat
d) You have to be a bit careful of the transmitter that is (often) located near the tank valve
e) I check my air as often as my buddy, it seems, but I did have to develop a motor-memory system for it
f) I think I still prefer the non-air-integrated
g) If you are debating the cost of a computer at all, I can't imagine that you would want to spend the huge amount more for an air-integrated one.
h) I have to write down my pressures for later (dive log), whereas my buddy's come up as part of his computer log that he can download.
i) If the AI computer goes on the fritz and you decide to save the dive by using tables, you will still need a "physical" SPG setup if you want to monitor your air pressure.

I wouldn't bother with AI, and a nitrox computer without it wouldn't be that expensive. Get one that has a Deep Sea Supply bungee mount available. You could then replace the bulky console with a bare SPG on a 24"(more or less)HP hose that wouldn't be dangling below you when you dive.

I own an Aeris Elite hoseless air integrated PC. I bought it right off when I started diving and not for one second do I regret it.

Do you need a pc to dive? Simple answer, NO! will it allow you to get the most out of every dive that you do? Simple answer, YES!

You will not go wrong diving tables. You should know how to plan a dive with the tables then dive the plan that you have made. But as far as the tables are concerned your whole dive is being done at whatever you planned max depth was. It does not matter if you were at that depth for 30 seconds or 5 minutes then went up five, ten or even twenty feet. You whole dive will have to be executed to your max depth. Unless you are planning a multi level dive. Most in my experience do not do that.

What the PC will do for you is continually monitor and make adjustments to your max no decompression limit as your depth fluctuates during the dive. If the PC that you bought is an AI (air integrated) PC then it will also take into account air remaining and how that will affect you dive time remaining. As you depth and breathing rate changes the PC will give you a new dive time remaining. An AI PC will look at three things to give your bottom time remaining. It looks at your total nitrogen loading, O2 saturation level during nitrox diving and last, the amount of air in your tank and how long it will last you at the current depth and current breathing rate at that moment. As they change, it will adjust accordingly. After looking at those three things it will give you the most limiting factor as you remaining bottom time. Not things that you can do with tables.

If you can afford it I would say go for it. In the long run you will get more bottom time per dive because of it. And if you do get yourself into issues or trouble then your PC will help get you out of it safely.

As to the PC quitting during a dive. I have not had any issues over a five year period however if it does quit on me then do a safe accent and dive is over. As to knowing how much air you still have, it wouldn't hurt having a standard SPG however I find that I look at my PC every five to ten minutes while diving so if it did every quit I would at least have some idea of how much air I had left in my tank.

Hope this info helped you out. If you have any more questions feel free to post here or PM me. Good luck.

Last edited:
I've never understood the need/desire for air integrated computers. Once you get a feel for your SAC rate you really don't need to look at the spg very often.It's also possible to mount an spg so it's in front of your chest.Just glance down to check it. No electronics and several 100$ cheaper.

IMHO wrist mounted,non air integrated is the way to go.

There are several things an AI computer gives you. On mine it figures remaining PSI into my bottom time remaining, it auto saves my start and finish pressure. It figures my SAC rate for me. Gives only 1 place to look for all my dive info, pressure remaining, depth time. I don't use a back up spg, have on on the surface with my save a dive kit, so I have one less hose I have to be worried about securing or if it's dangling.

I love my AI and I like having it on my wrist instead of a consol.

I think a computer be it AI or not really helps you. Know your dive tables but the computer then compensates if you you go off your dive plan, gives you more bottom time, and keeps track of dive info for you. Like one poster said there are dive ops that won't let you dive unless you have one.

Just my opinions.

There are several things an AI computer gives you. On mine it... figures my SAC rate for me.

Just as a note, my Geo, which is not air-integrated, will also calculate my SAC rate. But I do have to manually input my starting and ending pressures, so that's not to say that the non-air-integrated is exactly the same.

Does yours do it for you on the fly? (For mine I obviously have to wait until after the dive, although after keeping track of it for awhile on the type of diving I do I pretty much know what it is going to be anyway -- still fun to see though.)

Back
Top Bottom