Seriously stupid question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bwade

Contributor
Reaction score
Thunder Bay Ontario, usually found Under the Ice o
# of dives
I'm taking delivery of a Nikon S9100 with the appropriate Ikelite Housing and AF35 Strobe. The housing specs say most camera functions are usable except flash pop up control

Seriously Stupid Question: With the AF35 Strobe attached, what triggers the flash to..well flash? Is the camera flash usable and therefore the AF35 slaved from that??

I'll go back to "idiot inside" mode for a while and wait for the answer...... :confused:

The internal flash is used as a trigger to the AF35, or other larger strobes, although other strobes need a separate external sensor. This is also why the housing for the S9100 (I have an S8100 - same housing) has both a reflector and a diffuser . . . the diffuser is for using the internal flash to light the shot, and the reflector to make sure that it hits the sensor for the outboard flash to control it. The camera TTL decides when the exposure is complete, and shuts down the internal flash, and the external flash also senses this and shuts down accordingly to maintain full automatic exposure control, even with no physical connection . . .

Read the docs for the housing on the Ikelite site, as well as those for the AF35 . . . they pretty much tell you everything.

- Tim

Tim, Thank-you Thank-you Thank-you ..... I thought I was missing something obvious... I was.. :D

Cheers
Bruce

The least I can do for a fellow Superior diver! I certed in northern Michigan in Superior way back when, and am jealous that you are up there, and I am not!

- Tim

Tim, if you ever head this way to visit... I'll get you into the lovely wwwwaarrrrmmm waters of Superior :wink:
Last dive was 33F surface temp, 37F @ 135

I probably have been that cold, but it was a bit under protest . . .my last cert dive was in rolling waves and slush . . . we actually had to drive an extra 10 miles just to find open water . . pretty much 32 degrees no matter where you were, and since that was in 1979, nothing but a 1/4" farmer john wetsuit. Not awful, but I'm not in a rush to do that again . . . Having said that, we do hope to move back up that way at some point, and methinks I'll reintroduce myself to the big lake in a nice drysuit . . .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom