All you jellyfish freaks-here's a video! +

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

detroit diver

Contributor
Reaction score
This was shot at night by a friend, in a murky pond. Some of us were the lighting crew.

These are the freshwater jellyfish that I mentioned in another thread.

http://webpages.charter.net/dejavideo/jellies.wmv

Very kindly hosted by deja. Thanks!

Hi, DD!

Well, that was nice! And what was the water temp? I just did not get cold at all!

I could not quite see enough detail to identify the jellies with certainty. But they were definitely puffing around you guys.

Thanks!

Joewr...Cold? Not at all! This is the way for CAD's to enjoy cold water...long distance!

Joewr,

I figured you'd be the first to comment, so I didn't mention the water temp. I didn't want you to shiver while watching the movie!

It was warm-around 57-59 degrees.

I was right next to them, and I couldn't identify them either! But then again, if they were sitting on my nose, I still would'nt know one from another!!

If it hasn't been discovered yet, I'll call it the "Fresh cold Joe"

Whaddya think?

DD,

You are so kind! It will be remembered! By somebody...

And, how about "Nice Cold Joe"? I don't think Barbara wants me to be "fresh", even to jellyfish!

Just out of curiousity, what time of day or night was the video taken? Do you guys dive at night when it is that cold? Yikes! I am rubbing my hot tea cup against my face just thinking about it!

(Nice Cold)Joewr...Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

We got in about 8:00pm or so, and out by 9:00.

You might not believe this, but it really wasnt' that cold. We were in drysuits, and anything above 50 is quite warm. I know, not for you!

The pond (lake) during the summer is very crowded. It's in a State park. The night of the dive, there were only 3 cars in the parking lot-us divers. The park is 2 or 3 miles long, and I don't know how wide. I think we were one of the few visitors that nite.
It's so quiet that the entrance fee is paid on the honor system- no attendant.

Someday we're going to get you into something other than a hot tub.....

No hot tub? No peacock feathers? I live in Northern California for a reason!

You know people say that California was populated by tipping the USA up and that all the loose screws slid down here. I am not so sure...some must have made a stop in Detroit! They were attracted by all the magnetic material stored in Detroit for use in making automotive electrical components.

Cold, night dives...........Yikes!

Joewr...just kidding, DD! I know you are completely sane...just a little whacky! But, that almost goes without saying: you are a faithful Scuba Board member!

Originally posted by joewr
I am not so sure...some must have made a stop in Detroit! They were attracted by all the magnetic material stored in Detroit for use in making automotive electrical components.

Not so sure about the sane part. Wacky, of course! Life's too short for anything else....

Hi S_A,

It was taken at Springmill Pond, in the Island Lake Recreation area in Novi, Michigan. There are two other lakes in the area that supposedly have these jellies (at least, freshwater type) also.

BTW, I'm going to be in your city tomorrow on business.

DD

Only just caught onto this thread and all I have to say is : :eek:

It looks dark, cold and there were big, horrid, see-thro, stinging jellyfish......:eek:

Ok......now I have finished breathing into a brown paper bag, trying to calm my nerves and the hairs on the back on my neck are less the a foot proud....thanks for the video!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom